How many designers are using HTML5 and CSS3 currently in their work?

chrispd83

Hi. I work for a web design company, and i also do the odd bit of freelance work. I was just wondering how many designers and developers out there are currently using HTML5 and CSS3 technique / code in their current projects. ?

Thanks

Chris

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using CSS3 pretty extensively, but I haven't yet made the jump to HTML5. I have, however downloaded HTML5 Boilerplate just to familiarize myself with it.

chrispd83

lol Dave... i thought it was around that figure, thanks!

Ronald - Im using CSS3 more and more, but not as much as I would like... And as yet I havent designed a site with CSS3 in mind in order to take advantage of its functionality.

And no matter how many tables and charts I look at, im still not 100% sure which browsers support what. I guess I just dont want to get left behind!

chrispd83

Thanks Dave, ive seen a couple of resources like this but not this in depth so ill have a proper read through it.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ronald - Im using CSS3 more and more, but not as much as I would like... And as yet I havent designed a site with CSS3 in mind in order to take advantage of its functionality.

The way to overcome that problem is with progressive enhancement. The extremely short explanation of which is: build a site that looks good in a browser with no support (basically just use CSS2.1), then add the CSS3 on top of that for the browsers that do. That way, it degrades in a way that still looks good.

krymson

i havent really gotten to use css3 and html 5 yet, thinking about just making a web site to play around with them both, i need to do some reading up on how to write it cause honestly i have no idea and i know im behind :(

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
love it and use html5 when possible.
semantically (and logically) makes so much more sense.
and if you know html4.01 you'll get it pretty easily.
its not hard!

CH1LL1

I'm using just a few css3 ones, those that definitely work across all the main browsers. Until they are all supported I'll hold back. Not tried html5 yet.

chrispd83

cool. I think ill just have to force myself to start using it more in any freelance work then... my boss at work isnt particularly fussed about using them.... which means i cant really use my time there to do it. Thanks for your replies

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmm, I guess you boss just isn't very progressive.

I'd learn css3/html5 as best as you can, as quick as you can. If your boss wont let you use it on his clients then you'll just need to make a whole stack of test sites/ external clients who are willing to try new things and experiment. current w3 estimates that 2nd quarter 2014, for HTML5 to reach "Candidate Recommendation." so...I for one am not going to sit on my arse til then because its not 100% supported. CSS2 still isn't 100% supported. If you dont know it by then (and thats roughly 3 years to go) you will be left behind as all the progressive developers will have been using it for years, and you'll end up doing webpages for the crappy corner store, rather than the big fry you really will want to tackle...tell your boss that.

at the very least CSS3 has been brought out in stages so that certain modules can be completed whilst css3 as a whole is still being developed.
there are quite a few of these modules which are supported across all browsers (with the exeption of the usual suspects - but like I said, CSS2 isn't fully supported by said browsers either...)

chrispd83

hmmm, I guess you boss just isn't very progressive.

I'd learn css3/html5 as best as you can, as quick as you can. If your boss wont let you use it on his clients then you'll just need to make a whole stack of test sites/ external clients who are willing to try new things and experiment. current w3 estimates that 2nd quarter 2014, for HTML5 to reach "Candidate Recommendation." so...I for one am not going to sit on my arse til then because its not 100% supported. CSS2 still isn't 100% supported. If you dont know it by then (and thats roughly 3 years to go) you will be left behind as all the progressive developers will have been using it for years, and you'll end up doing webpages for the crappy corner store, rather than the big fry you really will want to tackle...tell your boss that.

at the very least CSS3 has been brought out in stages so that certain modules can be completed whilst css3 as a whole is still being developed.
there are quite a few of these modules which are supported across all browsers (with the exeption of the usual suspects - but like I said, CSS2 isn't fully supported by said browsers either...)

Hi Phreaddee, I agree... but its not really my decision as im not the boss lol. And as clients pay for our time its not something I can do on their sites off my own back and charge for it. Started playing around with it last night on my own test site.... like you said don't really want to get left behind.

Im only a relative beginner in web design terms... about year and a half.... really should have just started learning the latest stuff when I started... but again had to fit in with what the company does already.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Phreaddee, I agree... but its not really my decision as im not the boss lol. And as clients pay for our time its not something I can do on their sites off my own back and charge for it. Started playing around with it last night on my own test site.... like you said don't really want to get left behind.
Who says you can't just prove him wrong? If you present it from a profitability standpoint, he can't disagree. Designers need to stay ahead of trends to stay on top.

chrispd83

Who says you can't just prove him wrong? If you present it from a profitability standpoint, he can't disagree. Designers need to stay ahead of trends to stay on top.

ha i did bring it up today at work... it was met with a muted response. Dont think he wants me to learn the new skills on the job. We are very busy, so i kind of understand his view.

Guess ill just learn it in my own time and introduce it as and when at work.... then at least he will be impressed ive done it off my own back

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess ill just learn it in my own time and introduce it as and when at work.... then at least he will be impressed ive done it off my own back
And give you a raise, I hope...

krymson

If you dont get a raise you might get a good bonus and props but depends on how big of a douche your boss is.