How google defines links on your site?

Andrey Markin

Here is the situation: I compare links on my site and on site of my competitor in google. I type "link:www.mysite.com" and "link:www.hissite.com" and I see that he has much more links than I. But what is weird, is that almost all sites that link to him also link to me and google doesn't show it in my links. Why?

P.S. I checked the source code of those pages, that link to both of our sites, and I couldn't find the differences between those links. Both links are direct and link to correct URL.
P.P.S. Some of those links are more than 5 years old, so it can't be that google didn't index those pages with links on my site.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment there appears to be no ryhme or reason to anything going on with google. If they dont pick up their game, I think they could be in danger of losing their position to yahoo. Yahoo already has a loyal userbase, and the yahoo bots are very active indexing new information. Also the yahoo search database is bigger than google.
Sorry that doesnt answer your question, but there look to be problems with google. (some things I have read indicate they may be hardware related).

ISDProductions

Also the "link:www.example.com" search on google does not always display every link google has indexed and uses

Try comparing the results from
link:www.example.com
with
inurl:www.example.com

But like ian said google is somewhat nuts at the moment

some of my sites don't have any "link:" listings, but still show up on google keyword searchs and display a google page rank

weird