How Google+ Can Be Your SEO Secret Weapon

helloworld

When it launched, many people in the Portland web design community wrote off Google+ as another product soon to end up in Google's graveyard, like Google Wave, Buzz, Gears, Knol, and in a few months, Google Reader, but in just under 2 years, as of January 2013, Google+ has surpassed Twitter to become the second largest social networking site in the world (with Facebook in the #1 slot). Aside from the social features like hangouts, messaging, games, etc., the biggest benefit of Google+ can be to your SEO. Here's why: http://hwdesign.co/url/googleplus

Last edited:

Davidcooper

I don't know if its just me but I get a 404 NOT FOUND ERROR when I try and open that link. I do think Google+ is great though, I managed to bring in a large numbers of views to my personal blog just buy sharing it on community circles. I honestly didn't expect Google+ to get so big, and help bring in traffic.

chrishirst

Staff member
I'm not one to virtual argue..
It's called 'debate' and if you are NOT, ... Why are you posting your opinions at a public forum where others CAN debate, argue or disagree with your point of view????

Yeah there is plenty of crap published about SEO when they actually mean Search Engine Marketing

The simple fact is that you cannot "optimise" something that you do not control, so ANYTHING done away from your OWN URLs is done as advertising and promotion of those URLs.

To take a real world analogy, if you had a shop that was not "on the beaten track" and you went around the area handing out flyers telling people about your premises and what you sell, would that be "optimising" your shop interior?

leroy30

Yeah there is plenty of crap published about SEO when they actually mean Search Engine Marketing

I think SEO just rolls off the tongue better and so people wind up using it to mean both SEO and SEM.

Besides, SEM makes me think of S & M for some reason ;)

Janitor_Willie

I've noticed that a Google+ page itself does not get highly ranked even on Google. Sure it can't hurt to link to other pages. From what I can tell LinkedIn, Facebook, and other sites get immediate SEO preference.

bermuda

Google + might help you have better ranks, of course it's just a guess, since webmasters are beginning to talk about Google using data as still another factor to determine web ranks. Of course this does not mean having a very high score on Google plus will be enough to have top ranks. You'd better look at this as another option which can help you build traffic for your site, hope to have some improved ranks but do not neglect other options.

Chris_Tax

Greetings this is my first post here
Do any of us have a life? I have spent 6 hours today back linking. I am now keying in on a variety of anchor text key words. I even link to different pages on my website

I do income taxes for locals

Chris

LCWS

I'm not 100% sure Google + is much of an SEO tool. Typically, any links you add will be "nofollow" and the content you add there does not necessarily show up in search results, aside from your own. If you have a large number of folks in your circles, it can help generate website traffic, but where SEO is concerned, there are much better resources out there.

Robert-B

Google+ is simply a social network. Its not really an SEO secret weapon. If you post useful information on it then that is fine. But I would not really class it within SEO more Social Media and Marketing.

Last edited: