How do you get clients?

advantagewebs

I am new in the web development business - just coming up to six months - and would like to know what others are doing to get new clients, particularly non-local. I would like to build my client base both locally and globally, but seem to be stuck on ideas for marketing and getting them! Would love to hear what is working for you!

suz

Also make sure to have good examples of what you can do on your site. It doesn't matter if the work wasn't for a paying client.

bullzeyedesign

you should try a marketing campaign such as a postcard mailer to a targeted set of demographics. I've used AccuData before and that's an easy way to get a list of mailing addresses to send your information to.

I've found that I get a lot of clients because I've put testimonials on my website -- having some information about how previous client interactions have gone really seems to increase the likelihood that your site visitors will want to do business with you. It's very very competitive so anything that can help you stand out will be beneficial.

Also, think about starting a blog and becoming not only a web designer but a "professional" in your industry. Submit your site to search engines and any kind of web design directories you can find (try google). It takes a lot of effort to do this but it's worth it.

wetgravy

Direct mailing campaigns are great ... and relatively cheap if you know what sort of business you want. I get loads of free postcards from vistaprints and mail them directly to my local businesses that i want to target (restaurants and service providers like handymans and plumbers always need design services and ways to improve their customer base). Also if you get them printed blank on the back you can put a printed sticker there later to provide any special ads or services directly to your customers you do business with regularly.

Also, offering refereral discounts (for both the new client and existing client) is also effective since you can get repeat business from your old client (they always want to use a discount) and from the new client (who is basically been given the best form of guarantee in the form of a friend/family/associate who endorses you). Also, another use of postcards can be to inform the old client that he has been refered to as a client and is eligable for the discount (little more personal than an e-mail and less annoying than a phone call).

3dmagicaldesign

I agree with wetgravy, the direct web marketing campaigns are very helpful and effective. Although you can't only think about a single strategy, you need to consider and try as many techniques as possible. I have applied marketing campaigns, forum postings, link exchanging, XML sitemaps, I am developing my own forum, my own blog, I would say that each SEO strategy helps, just be constant and you will start to see the results.

mrandrei

I advertise my sites in relevant directories. Adwords campaign is also a good way to increase traffic and eventually boost your revenue, plus the results are immediate.

Rubicashrama

I personally use getafreelancer.com, you will have to bid for projects. I haven't tried directly contacting companies. What's your service?

Bronzy

ya its good that you are in web development as you are new in this field you should promote your site in the major search engine like Google, Yahoo and MSN.
I visited your site fastcustomwebsite.com and also checked the ranking of your keyword that you have placed in your meta tag any of the keyword is not in top 30 in Google the keywords are
custom web design and development,
Advantage Website Solutions
So you will have to work very hard to get better ranking in these keywords.

Fandy

I think you should have use the way of advertising market campaign for attracting the client on your site.