How do you create & host your own forum

scroll

Somebody suggested using a program called ibserver or something like that? But having real probs with PHP etc... as i am new to this :confused:

So help is required!!!! Thanks

StephanieCordray

Where do you want to host the forum is the first question, not how. If you have a hosting service you quite likely already have the means to host a forum, so I'd start there. ibserver sounds like something you'd use on a home box or something... not that i would know since i've never heard of it before.

StephanieCordray

well, now that could be a problem if your isp has outages(even cable has outages sometimes), unless it's just a personal type forum. but looks like you're on the right track with what you want to do. I don't know anything about ibserver, though. Some others might come along later and have some other suggestions.

I take it you want something easy to manage?

scroll

yes erm i got php bb yesterday dont know how to install it. Neither how to setup web space on my computer im on dsl 512kbps

StephanieCordray

if you're going to use phpbb you'll need a server that will set up mySQL databases. Setting up webspaces, you'll need a decent web server app, a static ip is desired, or a service that will update for dynamic ip addresses. There's a lot of work to do running a web server from home without the support of a true data center with the built in redundancies, backbone support, and so on.

We once ran an irc chat server from home it was a b****. But then it was a windows server with IRCPlus on top of that... frequently getting hacked and way too hard to keep secure for the amount of use it was getting.

StephanieCordray

what i'd suggest if this is all you want to do... host a small personal forum... is get a small even tiny hosting plan through a decent service... something not very expensive.

Setting up your own box at home will entail server software that usually comes with a price, either for the support you'll need or licensing outright. By the time you add up the cost of what you'll need, you'd come out way cheaper with shared hosting through a hosting company.

However if you are bound and determined to do this, I'd suggest some version of linux, Redhat or Debian but there are others.

But please don't take my word for it because it could be construed that i'm angling for a sale, being in web hosting myself... although i didn't say buy a hosting plan from us.

scroll

Ok how much would you charge to host my forum first and set it up? LOL
Could i have a further price for 500 MB of webspace a year with frontpage extensions and ftp access. What else would the package offer?

StephanieCordray

PM me and we'll talk about it but I won't discuss it openly in this forum or any other for that matter. My goal on this forum and the few others I frequent is to lend a helping hand wherever I can... although my help could be questionable at times ... some think I'm rather negative about some things and I suppose I am because I've already been there, done that (I'm old, lol) ... no sense in reinventing the wheel, you know?