How do I conquer Google?

The answer to this is very simple; it is all a matter of how much time you can dedicate to your website. If you read a little and you do you home work you will come to the conclusion that there is nothing that an SEO expert can do for your website that you can not do your self. The main idea here is to bring traffic to your website, how do we drive traffic to your website?

1. Meta Tags;

Don’t waste your time on them. Firstly let me explain what a Meta tag is; a Meta tag is a code that web designers insert on your website that gives the search engine information about your website. Meta tags are used to provide the search engines with key words, key phrases and a description of what your website is all about. Based on this information the search engines will categorize your pages and your website will be place in a listing based on the relevance of the search term used by any web surfer.

But there is a small problem; Meta tags are no longer of importance to Google. You might hear over and over again about the Meta tags but this is no longer going to make a difference in your web rankings. However, we did mention the words key words and key phrases and that will play a huge part in the next paragraph.

I always mention Google as my only search engine, and the reality is that Google is king. So all you are about to learn will be aimed towards Google. Google wants you to have a website with good quality content. What does this mean? Good quality content? Well; in the early days web masters would saturate their web pages with key words and key phrases and all you would see is a chunk of meaningless and illogical content. They did this to convince Google spiders of a relevant key word and obtain a good position on the search engine. Now a day Google has come up with such a sophisticated system that the mechanism of this amazing search engine will detect when you are writing for your customers and your visitors or when you are just trying to full Google with an excess of keywords and key phrases. So the first rule when you have your website designed and you provide the content of your website to your web designer is to make sure that you make sense and your content is directed to your web visitors and not to the search engines. You do need to include keywords and key phrases in your content, but this is something that by nature will be there in your content.

2. Gaining popularity;

You can have as much content as you want in your website. You can even have 1000 pages in your website of pure logical content and meaningful sentences, but this is not enough to achieve a good position in Google and other search engines. Google needs to see that you are a point of interest to the people and the way Google measures your popularity is by evaluating how many other websites are linked to your website. What exactly are we talking about? Well, I am going to go and visit my competitor’s website and I will send him an email to see if he would be willing to add a link to my website in his website and in exchange I will do the same thing for him by adding a link on my website to his website. When you do this Google now sees that another website of similar and relevant content to your industry is telling their visitors; “hey listen; this other company is worth while visiting” This is how you grow popularity on the web. Based on your popularity and the quality of your links from other websites to your website and also the content you will be evaluated and given a good position.

There are many ways to bring traffic to your site. We will be talking about more techniques to help you bring traffic to your website in other articles.

Pedro E. Montero
http://www.designedbylucas.com

Last edited by a moderator:

mrandrei

How come Google doesn't value metatags anymore? Aren't they still important? Could you please elaborate that statement.

Modern_Media

You Don't Conquer Google

You get good rankings by having a very relevant site with the following:

Quality Content
Quality Backlinks
Quality Social Networking inbound links
Quality Outbound Links
Substantial Traffic

Notice the keyword "QUALITY?" You don't want a bunch of poor quality irrelevant links back to your site because Google is smart enough to give page rank based on quality not quantity.

Meta Tags such as keywords and description DO play a part but it's a relatively minor role compared to everything else.

Bronzy

You get good rankings by having a very relevant site with the following:

Quality Content
Quality Backlinks
Quality Social Networking inbound links
Quality Outbound Links
Substantial Traffic

Notice the keyword "QUALITY?" You don't want a bunch of poor quality irrelevant links back to your site because Google is smart enough to give page rank based on quality not quantity.

Meta Tags such as keywords and description DO play a part but it's a relatively minor role compared to everything else.

Thanks for sharing this information this wll really help to get better ranking in Google.

digitalextreme

I don’t agree. My customer’s sites are all ranked on the first page and most are in the 1 to 5 in their keywords. Along with that they have high PageRank. I did an experiment and
with no meta tags, the sites did terrible. I would think twice before you go stripping your site of Meta tags.

PatMac

Yes, 'conquering' Google is a bit of a pipe dream. It's more of an up-and-down game, and since they make the rules, it's tough to 'conquer' them.

As for metas, I think the general sentiment is that while they dont hold as much clout as they used to, they certainly dont hurt SEO efforts.

JohnLA

How come Google doesn't value metatags anymore? Aren't they still important? Could you please elaborate that statement.

Google still uses meta tags but not that heavy. They still have those indexed but (I think) for the segregation of the sites in their cache. What's important is the actual contents. The articles that's in the site should be well-optimized. Proper keyword density and human-readable. ;)

bailey.rein

Here are some of the factors:

1. CONTENT - content is king, that's why you have to write interesting, fresh and unique content..
2. On-Page Optimization - it deals with the proper use of meta tags, alt-tags, title tags, headings, description, and keywords (you can use some of the tools to check for keywords).
3. Off-Page Optimization - its deals with getting quality of back links.. All the strategies that generates back links fall under this category.

ngseo

I also think meta tags are very important. For your website to "conquer Google," I also suggest that you develop a competitive marketing strategy before starting your SEO. Track your progress and make notes of the most effective methods and improve on them.

AdBirds Design

You will never conquer Google. Do not base your web design on trying to beat Google. Build your site and create quality content, and work along with Google.

Janice07

Quality Backlinks can help a lot in getting a high page rank in Google and a
PR for your site, well The issue about meta tags still confuse me I'm still
doing some research about it

tizziano80

It is not true that Google ignore meta tags. They are very IMPORTANT and help You in Google ranking only if Your meta description and meta keywords contain sentences and words from your page body content.

mrandrei

It's all about persistence. SEO is supposed to be a continuous process. Keep on building links to outrank your competition in Google.

ctemplates08

Google always loves sites with fresh and unique contents, sites with lots of quality links when I say quality links it means relevant links. Sites that has been up for quite some time can also have a better Google ranking.