How can I start as a freelance web designer?

legolg90

Hello! I feel prepared to create simple and good looking websites but I've never created a website for someone else and I don't have a portofolio site.
Well at this point I heard there are only two things to do:
1)creating some websites for free in order to build my portofolio
2)low bidding on different projects on freelance sites like freelancer.com or odesk.com...again, just to build my portofolio.

Now my question is... are their any chances that I'll be hired for a low amount of money considering I'm a total beginner in the employer's eyes?

Also, would I be able to make a decent amount of money out of freelancing when I get more experienced? (at least $800/month)

leroy30

Sure. you can make decent money from anything if you are good enough!

Firstly I'd say stick at your day job until you have some more direction. Perhaps make one or two websites for yourself... for example I made www.websudoku.co.nz just for the hell of it once upon a time.

Also if someone you know wants a website then jump on it! Perhaps you know a builder who lets it slip that they are thinking about a website... offer to do it for them. Not neccessarily for free but yes, probably cheaper until you prove yourself.

Find a part-time contract position to generate a base income and use the other couple days a week to build on what you really wanna do... unless you have significant capital and the confidence that you will succeed.

Unless you are in a low-paid region anyway then avoid elancer and similar websites. I mean, plenty of people have success there but I never did. I live in a place where the average income is $50,000 but on elance web developers are building good websites for $100 . I'd need to complete 250 websites a year for just an average income! Yet I find people local to my region will happily pay $1000 for a website which is about right for a reasonable income.

To directly answer your question: Without any kind of portfolio to show your ability then no it is not likely a complete stranger will hire you however someone that knows you and has the belief that you are 'good with computers' likely would. It would also help to build a website about the service you are trying to sell then you will have at least one example.

Good luck!