Host and Domain connected?

cj929

I've been told by my web designer that i cant have ownership of my domain name because it is connected the the host? I thought the domain and host were completely separate?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. goto www.netsol.com

2. click on whois

3. do a search for your domain name

4. if it has already been registered, you can now see whom it is registered to. this will show you whom owns it. your web host most commonly lists themselves as the admin/technical contact for any domains they register.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
domain and host can remain completely seperate and you can use two completely seperate companies for them. The only thing that links the two is your use of domain name servers for your domain.

talk2frank

I've been told by my web designer that i cant have ownership of my domain name because it is connected the the host? I thought the domain and host were completely separate?

This may mean your domain is hosted with a company who will require that you change the nameservers to point to a new host when you transfer out. Some companies do this. As every1 said, the two are NOT connected, unless the company the domain and hosting is supplied by choose to connect them... These companies annoy me. Theyll probably charge transfer out fees aswell.

ravi_mareedu

yes those are completely seperate.

if u have domain name then ultimiatly u must have a domian controlpanel apart from hosting control panel. you can host your domain name any where you want by changing the name servers.

dont forget to ask the domain control panel after you register a domain name. so that u can have complete control on which hosting to choose.

Como Group Australia

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes those are completely seperate.

if u have domain name then ultimiatly u must have a domian controlpanel apart from hosting control panel. you can host your domain name any where you want by changing the name servers.

dont forget to ask the domain control panel after you register a domain name. so that u can have complete control on which hosting to choose.

Como Group Australia
this isn't entirely true. DEnic for instance (they are in charge of the .DE domain extension for germany) don't offer such a control panel as they do require everything in paper format. an official request with signature so to speak. however, the host and registrar are again two separate entities and you are leasing the domain from the registrar not the host. thus that puts you in the drivers seat of your domains destiny.