Hi, newcome requiring help

Jacobart

Good day there lady's and gents!

I am starting up a new business selling some of my unique art, prints, invitation and greeting cards, and bits of advertising space, as i have a relationship set up with some very estbalished businesses.

I am in the business of buying my domain name and have decided on the name. The 2 concerns i have are;

1. What should be included in a hosting deal?
2. Can i buy domain name seperate and hosting from 2 seperate companies?

Thanks in advance people!

stuluk28

Hey, firstly it is possible to buy the domain name with one company and host with another. I've actually just had to do this for a client however, it does come with it's share of teething problems and hassles. If you can, I would recommend getting hosting and domain registration all from the same company, this often will work out cheaper too!

Also hosting will depend on what you want to have on your site, if you eventually want to be selling your goods from your website then you'll need some sort of payment and transaction software and options available. I have not done this yet so cannot really give you any of the specifics.

Maybe something that offers PHP, or ASP scripting? Something that will allow your website to easily maintainable.

Just some thoughts to kick things off.

There's members on here who'll know all the nitty gritty details you'll need.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
1. When looking at hosting plans, main things to consider, the amount of disk space they allow, data transfer allowed, do they offer mysql databases. What kind of control panel do they offer? Cpanel generally offers a nice setup.
2. As said before, you can buy your domain and host elsewhere, be careful of getting a domain with web hosting, as you really need to read the terms and conditions of the domain, some places which are not as ethical, say they offer the domain free with the hosting package, and then want to claim rights to the domain, and not release it, if you want to transfer your web hosting elsewhere.