Hi...I'm new to the Web forum although I've been

wensk

posting on the comuter forum for a while which relates to my day job. One of my hobbies/part time jobs is web design. I am far from a graphic artist or even a professional webmaster/designer but I feel I am fairly accomplished. Everything I know is self taught. I'm desparately trying to teach myself CSS but my old brain has a hard time absorbing :p And..it is still a hobby.

I recently was asked to work with a graphic artist to redesign a site I host which was done using Frontpage....very textbook FP...easy to use, update/maintain. The site was done a few years back and serves its functional purpose but desparately need a redesign.

Although I wasn't included in the design review process, I agreed to take on the work. The graphic artist is a print designer who works almost exclusively Quark and gave me all the files as flat graphic files of which I have had to use PS to layer over his designs and recreate them. I'm far from done. I'm actually asking you folks to review the basic design and see what you think. I balked at the original design becasue i though it looked like a ransom note. The pages all had different size/colored fonts. I've tried to incorporate some consistency into his design but also tried to stay true to his design so he could see how some of just doesn't work for the web.

http://www.intelab.com/gsc_new

Old design here===>http://www.germanschoolct.org

Trying to program it in CSS was a nightmare for me (old brain syndrome) so I went back to FP 2003 which has actually improved quite a bit.

Please check it out and give me your comments. Be gentle. TIA

StephanieCordray

Well, the new is definitely an improvement on the old, but, as you said, there are a lot of consistency issues. I hope you have a lot of time to get this one ready and good luck with it.

I'm not a professional designer either... just learn as I go. Your brain may be old but I bet if you just relax a bit, you'll get the hang of css fairly quickly.

Welcome to the forum, too, :).

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Hi wensk, I think the new site is an improvement over the old, though I dont like the intro page that appears, which says Welcome to the German School of Connecticut, I think you should get rid of that page completely and just go straight to the main page with the navigation links etc.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Also some of the color schemes that you used on some of the pages, are a little harsh on the eyes, I would play around with color schemes on some of those pages.

wensk

Thanks for you comments and taking the time to review the site. My thoughts are similar to yours. I have only tried to be true to the artist's design to prove a point...it doesn't lend itself to the web as designed! I didn't even want to do the intro since I don't even work in Flash but my son took a one week course at Cybercamps and he created it. IMHO Flash is a nusiance and I don't care for it. Its going away for sure ;-)

After a design review with the client, many of the elements will be revised/refined. I'll post again when I've had time to complete it.

P.S. I've signed up for an online CSS course...wish me luck!