Hey...I'm New!

chrishirst

Staff member
Instant start "Music" (if you can call it that) warning.

Well! For the seven seconds that I stayed there it looked Ok .... ..... I think.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the same reaction!
at work, eating lunch. didn't want to hear a song, I wanted to see a website.

now I'm at home, with the sound "off" I shall now proceed to your website.

first thing I noticed was a lot of images being loaded up. text as images. I got scared, then I checked the source code, and my fears were proved right.

whilst the design is OK, not my style, a little too big for my laptop and what not... please please please don't do psd>html slice and dice.

the first. FIRST. FIRST thing you must do is stop with that technique. right now.

the second thing to do is look at the code every now and again.
without duplicating it all here the different chunks you have currently are

<html>
<head>
<title>
<script> - GA
<script>
<style>
<meta> - charset
<script>
<script>
<style>
<link>
<style>
<style>
</head>
<body>
<br>
<style>
<style>
<meta> - description
<meta> - keywords
<table>...
</body>
</html>

combine your scripts and load them at the bottom of the document
combine your styles and load them in the <head> of the document
lose the keywords. and stick the meta tags also in the head.

structured, it need not be more than this.
<html>
<head>
<meta> - charset
<title>
<meta> - description
<link> - css external
</head>
<body>
...anything but a table...
<script> - GA
<script> - Jquery library (or similar)
<script> - the rest
</body>
</html>

whywrite?

hey, i took the advice for the instant music ( that was a video that played on onload of website ). Also why lose the keywords? I've read that they are irrelevant but I Thought it would be good to atleast have them no?
When you say 'combining scripts' do you mean just putting them together in the same area?

thanks

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
keywords - keep em dont keep em thats your choice. they dont do anything of use though.

By combine, I mean combine them into the one script. rather than having multiple requests at once.

keep the music/video just not autoplay.
therefore when someone wants to view/listen to it, they can.

whywrite?

also what is wrong with the psd > html slice? just because of long loading? or will this make a difference in the user experience?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't even get me started on all the myriad of problems associated with psd>html it's just not the done thing.

1. it's not a website. simply a collection of images
2. tables are for tabular data

it makes no sense to code it like that. none at all.

whywrite?

haha thanks. unfortunately it is the only way i know how to code it at the moment until i learn more about web design

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's actually not that challenging, and a lot cleaner and easier to do it correctly. Psd > HTML would have been ok 15 years ago, but not now. Try and search for a recent tutorial on how to make a website... :)

notarypublic

Off to a good start.

I started making websites the way you made this one. I didn't know the better ways to build websites either, but kudos for being willing to take the first step.

Now, you really can use PSD to slice images for your design. Here are just a few things to consider, though:
* Images mean slower load times. This is the biggest issue. If your website loads slowly, not only will your customers go elsewhere but Google and other search engines will be less likely to rank your site favorably.

* Editing is a BEAST. Does your client come back and ask for green links instead of magenta? No problem, you just have to re-slice out every image. And their hover state. Do this about the 5th time, and you'll see the downfall of this method. If you code the site using best practices, this would only take a second (literally) to change.

* Blind people can't read images. Neither can Google. A lot of the magic behind making sure people are visiting your site is to make sure that search engines can tell what your site is actually about. If people don't see your site, they can't buy your product, you don't make money.

* Images scale, but they don't resize. If someone's viewing your website on a smaller screen (say, a tablet or mobile) they get treated to a site that's much too large (or small) for them to use correctly. Text is built to overflow nicely by default; if you put it into an image then you lose that behavior.

If you're looking for a good place to start with learning the proper ways to build websites, I'd recommend Codecademy. Their short, easy lessons will show you the ropes.

Best of luck!

whywrite?

Thanks a lot for taking the time out and responding. that website you linked seems like it will be a lot of help for me.!