Help!!!!

Boosty

Good Morning, Im not sure if this even belongs on this section of the board but im desperate here. I hired a web designer to help me create a website dedicated for my friends & I that play World of Warcraft. Needless to say this guy was a complete waste of my time. & more he's playing the ignore you're customer business.

This is my homepage

www.menacecraft.com

As you can see he left it as is. He also added forums which i found out how to work around and i pretty much completed by myself. I would like to take this opportunity to learn how to do this but have no idea where to start. I can get around Cpanel & take alook around but I can't find anywhere that i can edit the fields on my home page or where to change the image on my home page. Im a quick learner & know a bit of HTML.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere right? Can someone be generous enough to walk me through how to get to certain things? like how to add a calendar etc etc?

Thanks in advanced

Will

StephanieCordray

Ouch!!!! That really sucks but it's not the first time I've heard such things. That's why I always say you need a contract to protect both the client and the service provider.

What I would suggest is ask your specific questions in the web design forum part of the board.

For editing what's up there now... If you have an ftp program and know enough HTML you can edit your pages through ftp. If not, I would suggest finding an HTML editor such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage but not necessarily one of those two as they are the two most expensive.

You could also request a web designer here. There are quite a few who are very good at what they do... but... be careful in your selection and make sure they work under contract and that you have legal fallbacks in case of the same thing happening as happened the first time. Some of the newer webmasters might offer to do the work at a reduced price or possibly free if they can add something great to their portfolio.

peanutbutter

I know what you're going thru ... (i know that feeling and you want to do him great harm possibly using sharp objects...but! that's not the way to go here).. and you dont need another software just to upload..there's an easier way you can use a browser ..here --- ftp://[email protected]/ just repace the username and domain...just type it in your browser. you can move around files just like you do on your computer.. if you're looking for a webdesign software then dreamweaver is definately worth your money.. why pay someone to do it ... unless you're in a hurry, i suggest dreamweaver it'll take you a week maybe two at tops..

Last edited:

SiteExpress

Hi all. I have not posted in a while, but reading through this one caught my attention.

As a web designer, I am almost ashamed of the profession, when I hear this kind op thing. over and over again, I hear from clients how "Their last designer ran off with their money and didn't finish the job." It is a pitty, and something that is probably not going to end anytime soon.

i also recommend finding some web editing software, and taking a stab at it yourself.

Another thought is this. You web designer may have actually left you a template to follow. Take a look through your files, and see if you can see a template there. If you are lucky, he knew what he was doing when he started, and made himself a template to follow.

Best of luck.