Help with red "pho" pattern type background

flybeta

Okay so I've run across a difficult person as in she hated my first web design and reamed me on the text that was sent to me about her staff and even the order of the staff listed. As well as the text that some how was written out for the about.

Really had a rather nice clean template which I put custom images on everything.

Now she is wanting the site to have a red pho type pattern for the background which I have found a pretty nice seamless tile.

so far site is

>logo(spent hours recreating it from a dirty pixelated image on their facebook)
>>store image(wrapped in a cheetah border)
>>>phone
>>>>mission statement>>image(w/cheetah border)(another image will be on left)

Does anyone have suggestions or something I can look at for an inspiration I don't have any experience in making sites look good with patterned backgrounds.

She want's a scripty type font, how do I make the text look good ??

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe send us a link to the URL?

an image in a cheetah border sounds horrible.
really truly horrible. but how would we know. its not like we can see it.

and what the hell is "pho"???

flybeta

lol thanks Brian that is helpful! mine hurts to think I'm gonna mail them and ask about this all red website!!

Last edited:
LOL.. the red in and of itself isn’t horrible. I would recommend making the tile size a little larger. I think it’s all the animal prints (leopard, zebra..) clashing that's doing it. Also the logo could use a bit of cleaning around the edges and it just doesn’t seem to pop, the words fade in because it’s so busy. But yeah, Phardee was right, that border is a mess, time to politely influence the client, always a fun job.

d a v e

whatever you do don't use comic sans for the text! :)

stick with using the script fonts for headings, and use plainer text (some nice ones on google fonts or http://www.fontsquirrel.com/) but it has to be readable above all else.

somehow reminds me of little shop of horrors...

edit: hope you made a vector version of that logo ... and charged her for recreating it

i would suggest to her (and show with an example) that you could limit the tile to behind the logo and keep it in the header, or at the very least not behind the main content area (so put the main content in a white or light 'box')

main font in the logo looks like http://www.fontspace.com/alan-carr/algeria

lol - looks like you're going to have your work cut out with this client :) but there's always hope

a bit of dropshadow behind the main logo text might help lift it from the background a little

Last edited:

flybeta

Used Apple Chancery! And no I don't believe I charged her nor did I include the psd part of my sales team edits websites also so he finished it up for her but they still want me to make the green part of the logo purple lol

Brodzko

Nooooo please don't. :D Cancel this, destroy this, never let anyone see it. My first impression was like "WTF, I walked into time machine?!" :D I understand you quite a lot, working with clients who know a s**t about the web and live in 1990's is difficult. But what they want you to do is a slavery. Seriously, coding a web like this is like punishment, because it messes my brain up, when I see it... the background! the borders! Please help me.

You know what's worst of all of it? The 2012 date in the footer! :D

AsheSkyler

Zebra print suits the borders much better than cheetah print. Too bad she didn't let you keep the navigation menu you had up before, that thing was pretty cool.

One tip I was given when I was interning was to use contact forms, and never post a person's email address directly onto the page because of email harvesters signing you up for spam.

flybeta

Actually scratched that red menu at last second because I thought I was spending to much time and positioning it was giving me problems.

You are so right about it being an old school background, reminded me a bit about some of my first designs in the 1990's with strong red / blue tiled background.

Linked the font with @font-face "both .ttf and .eot" to me looks alright except the phone number.

It's up and she liked it so far I'm not sure what she thought of the font or changed the green to purple for the logo.

Staff page looks really long with all their pictures thought maybe it would look better in a jquery gallery.