help with promoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aretee

hello webmasters... im considersably new at this, but how do you promote your site to get heaps of hits ??? (i think a free host doesnt help??) i tried submiting my site to search engines, using submition sites and by doing it manually. but i have to type in my full web name for it to come up. I have a meta tag and all that....wen in google i type in my site name....but theres no description !!! i tried alot of things....is there specific steps i have to follow ?? if so wat r they ?? i WANT HITS !!!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
get plenty of inbound links to your website, and get listed in web directories like dmoz.org, etc and then the major search engines like google and yahoo etc will take care of the rest. Not sure what impact using a free web host has. Title tags are important, as are the anchor text of inbound links.
With search engines like google, be patient, it can take 3+ months to get indexed, this site is yet to be indexed in google.

aretee

ok kool thanx bro !!! do u have a website which i can visit ?? and jus have a gud browse and get ideas....(not steal them)

Last edited:

srben

inbound links are definately very important, but only if they are coming from sites relevant to yours and like Ian said, with the right anchor text.

if you have any money to budget towards your promotion, then i would suggest also thinking about what you can do in the 'real world' as it were,
if it's a business your starting up, think about advertising in papers, magazines. Get business cards printed up. Posters and flyers are a good idea, just make sure you put them up and give them out in the right places.
They are just a few ideas, therer's tonnes more stuff you can do both on and off line.
hope this helps a bit.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I am assuming the budget is zero, considering free hosting is being used.
Also do you have your own domain name? If you are serious about exchanging links with other sites, I think a domain name and paid web hosting would be a good start.
ALso what kind of site are you building, what are the main keywords that you would like to optimize for? Enter those keywords in google, and then get ideas from some of the top ranking sites in your chosen field.

ewomack

Thanks for the dmoz.org link. I had no idea such a project existed, and I consider myself web-savvy. Re-evaluation in progress!

Thanks!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok kool thanx bro !!! do u have a website which i can visit ?? and jus have a gud browse and get ideas....(not steal them)
uhh... you are on ian's site. lol the site's linked to at the very top and bottum of this site are also ian's. :)

Thanks for the dmoz.org link. I had no idea such a project existed, and I consider myself web-savvy. Re-evaluation in progress!

Thanks!
you learn something new every day! :) it has little to do with whether you are web savvy or not.;)

WTM

Hello everyone!
If I may to put in my 2 cents the best way to get indexed by Google fast is to enroll to AdSence program. This way they must spider your site to serve relevant ads. All of my sites were indexed in the matter of days...
Hope this helps...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
WTM said:
Hello everyone!
If I may to put in my 2 cents the best way to get indexed by Google fast is to enroll to AdSence program. This way they must spider your site to serve relevant ads. All of my sites were indexed in the matter of days...
Hope this helps...
They say the bots that determine the content for adsense ads, are different to the spiders which capture the contact which is fed into the google index.

WTM

Hi Ian!
You probably right but all I know that until I enrolled in AdSence and posted Google code to my pages Google search could not find me.
May be index spider helps them to decide where to rank your site...

julielr

I have just started getting some hits on my website but it is never enough. What are inbound links and how do I use Title tags?

WTM

Hi Julielr!

julielr said:
I have just started getting some hits on my website but it is never enough. What are inbound links and how do I use Title tags?

<title>Your Page Nice Title </title>
You place it between <head> and </head> tags in your html code.
Usually it's short description of the page content. It is recommended to include main keyword in the title...

Inbound links - links leading to your site from other websites. More inbound links you have - higher link popularity of your site, better ranking you get on search engines (especially Google).

You can check your link popularity here:

http://webtemplatemax.com/Resources/link_check.htm

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.