Help with Displaying files in a folder

astronaut

I am a complete newb at web design, so please bear with me. I think my situation is simple enough - I have a page that I want to list all the files that are stored in a particular folder on my server. While I would just manually enter the links, this page is basically a downloads page for some people I work for. I don't need ANY special graphics, just the files listed like it was an FTP, and I need the list to always display what's currently there.

www.domain.com/downloads/ would display all contents in the ftp.domain.com/downloads folder:

file01.doc
file02.xls, etc...

Is this a quick thing I can do in HTML or am I going to need to get serious in reading my php books?

Thanks

wachtn

Yeah its an easy fix. If that directory does not contain an 'index.__' file, depending on that folds CHMOD (permissions) you will have the page you are looking for.

Another simple fix is to create and FTP account that has access to that directory(s) only. Then anyone that cant install an FTP program could

open up a windows explorers window
>>
type in the url "ftp://domain.com
>>
you might get a popup window here (it doesnt matter much, close it)
>>
go to 'file' >> login as
>>
enter login info
you should be directed to the highest directory that user has access too. (I dont know how it works exactly. I gave my GF access to 1 folder 3 folders deep. she was taken straight there.)

If that doesnt work, you could add network place connecting to your site, very similar to the FTP option I told you about.

Hope you found this at all helpful. Goodluck.

bench3

Yeah its an easy fix. If that directory does not contain an 'index.__' file, depending on that folds CHMOD (permissions) you will have the page you are looking for.

Another simple fix is to create and FTP account that has access to that directory(s) only. Then anyone that cant install an FTP program could

>>
>>
>>
go to 'file' >> login as
>>
enter login info
you should be directed to the highest directory that user has access too. (I dont know how it works exactly. I gave my GF access to 1 folder 3 folders deep. she was taken straight there.)

If that doesnt work, you could add network place connecting to your site, very similar to the FTP option I told you about.

This is good idea, thank you for your information...

astronaut

>>
>>
>>
go to 'file' >> login as
>>
enter login info

It sounds like what i'm trying to do is very similar to what you did with your GF's ftp account. I have a few other bugs I need to work out until I know if this will work for me or not.

One of the problems I realized that I've been having is due to the fact that my web host's web-based tools suck (I've used some really bad ones from other company's, but these set an all-time low). When I change the permissions for a certain folder, it doesn't remember my new settings! The anonymous user has access to EVERYTHING. While I would normally just bust out the CLI and SSH into the server, when I first got the domain, I was told by the tech guys from the web host, Globat, that their servers don't support SSH from users.

Since I haven't done a whole lot of web dev, I've only had to use SSH & sftp in my day. What's another way I can get into my server and see some chmod action?