Help required !!

ceace

Hi All,

Newbie here.

What i'm looking to design is a website that will be for internal use within my company, I need a basic site where staff would input details into a site and the details input would populate an excel sheet.

Not really sure of how to go about it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ceace

mongolish

very hard to do you need to have some scripts
look for some javascripts that have keywords input populate
but the easiest way to do it would to have a password protected area and have just a chat form where you could add information that way

lee_vhoi_ol

Hi All,

Newbie here.

What i'm looking to design is a website that will be for internal use within my company, I need a basic site where staff would input details into a site and the details input would populate an excel sheet.

Not really sure of how to go about it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ceace

you can do this with Java, you can do this with PHP and MySQL.

Process info through PHP --> store info in mySQL database --> convert mySQL table to Excel.

you can search for a generic function for converting MySQL tables to Excel.

you'll have to learn PHP, and mySQL. But this should work.

webfinity

You're looking at something custom designed most likely. I don't believe something out of the box will do what you are looking for.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
could you be a bit more detailed? what sort of data will your users be entering and why do you need this to go to an excel spreadsheet? why not to a database? will this be hosted on a windows or linux server (i.e. IIS or Apache).

since this is meant to be for your small business, i am gonna assume it's gonna be on a windows box, as IIS is included with every install of windows 2000 professional and windows xp professional.

i'd suggest doing this with the help of asp/vbscript, which is a native technology of IIS. being a microsoft product it natively has support for interacting with other microsoft products.

for more info refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q195951/

also, you can find some sample scripts on www.asp101.com under the samples category.

rather than storing the data directly into the excel file i'd suggest storing it in a database. even a simple access database would be better. then if need be, you could have a function that would generate an excel file with the desired data from the database.

ceace

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice so far.

Basically i'm not too bothered about what the output format is too much. Had a little look into php/sql to output into a access database. This does seem the best way to go forward with this, but, i've not ventured into the world of databases so far so it could be a long hard road i'm going down.

I have designed the front end in flash but now looking to get the code working properly.

The biggest problem i'm facing is that my host is Lycos and i can't seem to access the database files unless i go down the webaccess route on they're management part of my host site. i would prefer to create a database and then upload it once i have the fields created that i want, but not too sure if this is the correct way to approach it.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ceace.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you do decide to go with php, i would suggest using mysql over access. while access works well in small sites in conjunction with ASP, it really isn't ideal for any kind of website. it just wasn't designed with the internet in mind.