Have I left it all too late?

jeanm

I realize my site is not mobile friendly. It seems I have to sort out this issue prior to 21st April. I’ve been looking around the internet at ways of doing this and to be honest my 63 year old brain is not absorbing a lot of what I read. I tried figuring out a bit of code to use in the head section but that didn’t work. I guess I’ve got all of the Easter break to physically do the work needed if I can sort out what to do.

From looking at my website http://www.heritageceilings.com.au is the issue reasonably easily fixed or does my site need a total make-over please? This is the css page: /style.css

I'm almost dreading to hear your answers and to assimilate that with my lack of abilities. :confused:

Thanks in advance, Jean

chrishirst

Staff member
I realize my site is not mobile friendly. It seems I have to sort out this issue prior to 21st April.

Please, please this date that Google have announced for an update of PART of their algorithm is NOT an ultimatum or a threat that your site URLs will completely and totally disappear from the results (if it DOES actually get results) simply because it is not "mobile friendly", it just means that any results your site currently gets from 'MOBILE' search may drop.

Before anybody can tell you if it may affect your Search traffic or not, does your site get ANY traffic from Search and if it does, what proportion of the total traffic is it and what proportion of that is from mobile search?

chrishirst

Staff member
So probably not that big a deal then.

Though you SHOULD be very concerned that you are getting too much traffic from search, and while it does cost nothing, loosing it WILL cost you dearly.

More than ~30 - 35% Search traffic leaves your "on-line" business vulnerable to the vagaries of search engine results.

jeanm

Thanks Chris. I want to use the viewport code but I can't seem to get it right. Do you know what I need to do please. Does the code for all my images have to be amended too? If I have a chance to sort out my website over Easter that would be good.

Anyone else's input on how to update my code will be most appreciated.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
Does the code for all my images have to be amended too?
Yes, or where ever possible.

However it works fine on my Amazon Fire, (7" 720p. screen) The navigation is a bit cluttered but it's perfectly usable.

jeanm

Perhaps in the short term I simply decrease the image sizes in the navigation to give myself room to increase the size of the text links in that section. Similarly increase the size of the Footer text links.

Perhaps on this page http://www.heritageceilings.com.au/tin-ceilings-patterns.php I'll change it to have four designs per row so I can increase the image and text size too.

Perhaps generally increase the text size all over without making it look ridiculous on a desk top. What do you think Chris?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
adding the viewport meta will not do much unless the rest of the styles are changed as well, it might actually cause more complications in the short term.

but you'll need to look into media queries and how they work.

the images will need to lose the inline sizing

prob best to use html5 doctype as well.

it will be a bit of an overhaul, and a bit of a learning curve. perhaps make a copy of your site locally and experiment. I don't see you being "punished" short term for simply having your site as is though.

jeanm

Thanks Phreaddee. I'll have a look into all of that. It's certainly going to be a learning curve. I guess this sort of thing is what keeps an old brain young. At least I may not be punished too much in the short term. That is a big relief. Thank you.

chrishirst

Staff member
At least I may not be punished too much in the short term. That is a big relief.

What you really need to get away from, is the idea that Google is going to 'punish' your site because you changed something. Build your website according to what you and your users need, NOT because of something that search engines may or may not do.

jeanm

To be honest I'm perfectly happy with my website as is and customers tell me my site is far better than my competitors. When I ask my customers how they found my business the answer, more often than not, is via a Google search - hence my concern about the slippery slide downwards. After what you guys have said I think I'll just forget about it for a while. I'll begin learning some of the code needed to make a better site and then when I'm more confident I shall upgrade my site. Thanks a lot to both of you. I value your input.