h1 tags for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny jones

hi

I'm using a swf file for my title, http://www.free-online-games-player.co.uk and am getting conflicting advice on the H1 tag, so far I think the best advice has been to use the following <style type="text/css" media="all">
h1 {display: none;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>free online games player</h1>
I would love your opinions on wether this is good or bad.

thanks

ISDProductions

oh! I didn't see {display: none;}

yea thats not a good idea, but you won't be banned from the index forever, just a very very very very very very long time after you remove the code. The benefits to using a <h1 tag are only if it can look good with your sites design, as far with SEO, i have never had a problem not using any <h#> tags. The best thing you can do for SEO is have clean code, and make a site that your visitors will want to link to

Last edited:

thrive

You could detect flash and show the title, and if not show the h1. This way everyone's happy. No rules broken. Google crawler will see the h1 and people will see the flash, AND people without flash will see the h1.

thrive

Who the hell told you that?! That's complete rubbish. H1 tags are completely legitimate and are used all the time. My site is filled with them and I'm in #1 in Google for my field. Also, they suggest using H1.

thrive

sorry but I was surprised by that. H1,2,3,4 elements are completely fine to use as long as their not hidden. I asked this of some Google engineers when I had lunch with them last year. These elements can be spam if they're hidden in an invisible div though.

Status
Not open for further replies.