Google Chrome: What do you say?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to try Google Chrome, I will probably stick with Internet Explorer.

suz

I know I can't be bothered downloading it. I probably will though once peer pressure gets to me~

jnjc

It's a real pain. We don't need another browser. Right now you have to test and tweak your sites for the A Grade Browsers:

IE6
IE7
FF 2
FF 3 (which is turning out to be pretty troublesome)
Safari

Not to mention Opera, Seamonkey etc...

And now google throws in their two cents and with such high exposure I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before that gets added to the "to-test" list also....

For the moment I'll be ignoring it in the hope it goes away....

suz

It apparently uses Safari's rendering engine so if your site works in that it will be the same in the Google browser.

jnjc

It'd be great if that were true, but I test on the windows version of Safari and I've had reports of pages rendering slightly differently on the Mac Version...

abwebdesign

It uses source from a wide array of open source code such as Firefox and Safari. The official user-agent recorded from the browser is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.X.Y.Z Safari/525.13.

Google has also opted to keep the source code for Chrome open and will be developing versions for both MacOS and Linux. I'd say it's a good deal.

AE7

As long as it doesn't have problems interpreting CSS like IE does, I am perfectly fine with it.

3dmagicaldesign

I only have this question:

How come Google Chrome is not accepting the google toolbar? isn't it developed by themselves?

I like the browser, although I think it needs more applications.

wetgravy

my wife downloaded it, but already i notice serious css code flaws that are different from page to page (borders change widths, and alot of the i.e. code to make css clean makes pages go wonky) Also, even though it supports the newest flash ... i've seen the flash apps go grey because the code isn't working right ... maybe in a year or so I will start to test for compatibility after they debug their software ... but if people want giant google ad software on their system ... they can wait.

FeatherCodeTy

I think it's a great concept and idea, but I'm going to wait until the bugs are ironed out in the next 6-10 months.

But if FireFox gets faster (which it looks like it will), I don't really have that big of a need to switch.

voodish

Although initial impressions were great, it seemed very very quick, a few hours with it and it has become quite laggy - where as Firefox just seems to keep on trucking...

Although FF can become a tad unstable at times, this is usually down to a plugin; like Gmail crashing Firefox.

It's a good start though, I just wish the market leader would either upgraded IE7 to be standards compliant or ditch it for good.