good graphic design books/resources?

aracaris

I'm on the hunt for good graphic design resources, especially books. I've yet to find any really good books specifically on graphic design, with the exception of one good book on the visual side of web design (it was CSS Zen Garden's Book). Other resources (such as good websites on graphic design) are welcome as well.
I know it's good practice to go through other people's designs and look at them, and I've done a lot of that, but I'm more interested now in something that really does a good job of discussing design, and different techniques and approaches to it.

Last edited:

chrisbkrh

I just picked up the Creativity Annual Awards #38 from Macworld for $30US. Definately worth every penny and then some.

resize.php

Also read this one a while back and still reference it occasionally. Really good on the psychology of placement and utilizing fibonacci patterns

book_cover1.jpg

Last edited:

tluanga

i have recommended:-

1.Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach through Design (Hardcover)
by Jill Butler (Author), Kritina Holden (Author), Will Lidwell (Author)

2. The Complete Guide to Digital Graphic Design (Paperback)
by Bob Gordon (Editor), Maggie Gordon (Editor)

aracaris

For HTML Experties you have to read HTML For Dummies.....

Thanks but I've read quite a few of html and css books all ready, what I'm interested in finding right now is books on the visual side of design, not so much the code behind those things (in fact I'd be fine with some books that are purely design with no html or css at all, don't even have to necessarily be web-design specific). Granted there's always more to learn with CSS and HTML, but I've gotten a pretty good handle on them so I want to really focus on the visual side of things right now (well that and start learning more JavaScript and PHP, but those are a whole other subject).

Anyhow I've gotten more replies than I expected, now I have to decide which book I want first. Thanks guys, keep em coming.

Last edited:

Tim Bernee

Can anyone recommend a good graphic design book? I have to add that I'm looking for something which deals with theory / insight into design practice - I think if I see another book filled with images I will scream

aracaris

I suggest the tutorials available online for researched study.

Yeah, I've found a few good one's that are Photoshop specific, and I'll keep hunting around for more, not necessarily Photoshop specific ones. I also went and bought that Graphic Design for Non-Designers book, and some Photoshop and other graphic design magazines. I'm thinking of taking some classes at the college for graphic design as well.

Mahesh, that link isn't working right now, but I'll try later.

Last edited: