Frontpage Vs Dreamweaver

sofy60

Was wondering what most of the forum members are using for design software these days. Microsoft / Dreamweaver ? Or another. If another please list it this will help give us all some new ideas. thanks

d a v e

DW/hand code. hopefull hardly anyone uses frontpage anymore ;) those that did aer using either DW or MS expression web, though it stil amazes me that there are so many people still using frontpage 2003 ...

as mentioned apatana is good (and free)

LouTheDesigner

For editing HTML, I like dreamweaver's split view, but for PHP or working with the files of a CMS, I choose Notepad++ all the way -- I love that program.

-Lou

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aptana 3 and Notepad++ (quick edits). MS also has a new one out called WebMatrix. Been playing around with it. Almost as good as Aptana.

CaldwellYSR

That's the one I was talking about. It's actually a decent competitor to Aptana. Major problem I had with it was there was no option to change the color scheme. I like Aptana's dark color scheme. Other than that, it completely compares in features.

Which dark theme do you use? For the longest I had my own that was black with purple gold and white but now I'm using the blackboard one. I like the dark themes much better than the light ones. I get headaches staring at that wall of white for so long :p

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which dark theme do you use? For the longest I had my own that was black with purple gold and white but now I'm using the blackboard one. I like the dark themes much better than the light ones. I get headaches staring at that wall of white for so long :p

Just the default.

I expect to get grief for this, but I've used FrontPage 2003 for a long time and liked it for several reasons: Editing in "design view" with hierarchical node selection, or in text mode (mostly good just for HTML code), "preview" window, and easy to use built-in FTP.

But of course it does not support the latest and best ways to do things, so I need to make a switch and don't care to spend any money.

Aptana 3 looks too comprehensive for my needs. So far I like Notepad ++ and found an FTP plugin for it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nppftp/.