from where to start

jaipandya

Hi all
I am totally new to this world of web designing. I don't have any web page of mine but i want to create. But i want some good idea...........from where do i start. Which subject do i take. which software do i use..............everything from base.

Chroder

I'd suggest taking a look at the HTML Primer from HTML Goodies. Every webmaster needs to know about HTML, even if you end up using a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver.

AainaA

you could also start by asking yourself, the 5 Ws

1. Why do I need a site
2. When do I need to implement this site
3. Where would I host this site
4. Whom am I going to "rant/rave" about on this site
5. What am I going to do to make it a reality

Of course you could ask other questions as well, and you might even want to consider studying other sites, and see elements of color fusion before coming up with a pseudo-flow of what you're gonna do..

you might also want to consider looking at...
http://www.sitepoint.com/cat/design-and-layout

later,

ian

Administrator
Staff member
1. Decide what the site will be about and its purpose.
2. Build the site, easier when you use an editor like microsoft frontpage or macromedia dreamweaver.
3. Upload the website to a web hosting server using a FTP program like cuteftp or wsftp.
4. Start promoting your website via search engines and other means.

AainaA

and if your site needs boosting with traffic, and it deals with design, webmeistering and Computer, Web Hosting, Domain Name, + Search Engine, click here to boost it!

you might also want to consider dropping by here, for links to creating a better site :p

later

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
SPAM! :p

anyways, i agree with a little of all that has been said above. a good place to start would be to get a cheap html book and start learning the basics of it. it's really simple and most any book should do just fine.

then, decide what the topic of your web site will be. a site with any real direction isn't really attractive to most users, but rather confussing.

as far as hosting goes, for starters i would stick with one of the free hosting services, such as freeserver.com. also, i recommend wsftp for uploading your files, but any of the others will work just fine as well.

as far as front page and other such editors go, most are very helpfull tools and will make your day go much smoother, however, i must say.... "stay away from front page!!!". personally i preffer dreamweaver by macromedia, but there are some good free ones out there as well that write good clean code for you.

AainaA

if you can get a copy of Netscape Gold, you could try out the composer and then look at the source. Its easier and faster to learn that way. Also, don't be afraid to experiment. You may want to also try sites related to Javascripting and Applets if you're adventurous later on

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
javascript almost made me flunk a class once... all my code was fine and neither me nor my professor could figure out why it did not work. anyways, i copied all the code into a new file and it worked fine. *shrug*

that was the last time i ever really used to again (with the exeption of pop-up's on links and the likes of course).

therion

Ehehe, good luck to u jaipandya. just my 2cents, u might wanna start with html, a site i would like to suggest http://www.w3schools.com very nice tutorials. Then get some photoshop crash course. get familiar with this very famous program. Then hands on urs very own website. :) for some idea, u might consider to view www.dw.dk .

ldburroughs

Focus on what you hope to accomplish with the site. Frontpage has come a long way and is the perfect solution for entry to intermediate level web design. There is no reason to "stay away" from it unless you are beyond the intermediate level. For most applications it will provide more than what you need. Additionally, its interface is much more intuitive than Dreamweaver and other more sophisticated programs. I wholeheartedly agree that Dreamweaver is a fantastic product but I vehemently disagree with the "stay away from" stance mounted against Frontpage.

I must say I am by no means an advanced webmaster. I'm in law school and do it as a hobby mostly to communicate with my friends and family. Assess your needs, then determine what tools are required. You may not need the power of Dreamweaver. You may end up equiping a metaphorical pizza delivery shop with a fleet of Ferraris.

Last edited:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ldburroughs said:
I must say I am by no means an advanced webmaster. I'm in law school and do it as a hobby mostly to communicate with my friends and family. Assess your needs, then determine what tools are required. You may not need the power of Dreamweaver. You may end up equiping a metaphorical pizza delivery shop with a fleet of Ferraris.
it's not really about the power of dreamweaver, frontpage or even notpad! it's about the quality of the code. there is a reason dreamweaver has a function specifically to clean code.

just open frontpage and start a new page and then without making any changes to this new blank page, go and look at the amount of code you already have. that's what makes frontpage so undesirable.

on the other hand, most of us started out with frontpage and eventually moved on as we learned how to write actual code.

all i am saying is, if you can, try and avoide frontpage and word for your web design needs. there are lots of free html and WYSIWYG editors out there, that may not look as fancy or have as many features, but will still do a much better job IMHO.

ldburroughs

That makes a lot of sense. I would agree that one should avoid Frontpage over a free or less expensive web authoring program if cost is an issue. I also agree that Frontpage is not as clean (although I never really looked into that before I read this thread.) The people who view my site, mostly friends and family, know even less than I about this sort of thing (that's really scary.) They just visit on occassion to see pictures of my daughter. The site suits my current needs. If I were doing this for a corporation or for others I would certainly look at other programs. In fact, I'd probably hire someone to do it because it would consume too much of my time creating and maintaining the site. Especially since it can be so easily scrutinized.

StephanieCordray

I can see both sides of this argument of frontpage vs dreamweaver, having used both and at times still use frontpage. At my level, I would vote hands down for Dreamweaver but I know it's not everybody's choicenor should it be for true beginners since it has a much steeper learning curve than many others. Frontpage may not be very clean code but it is easy to use. Depending on your needs for your site as ldburroughs stated earlier you may opt for that editor over others. If you buy the microsoft office suite for your business or whatever, it comes in some of the more complete packages without the cost of buying it separately. If such is the case, it's a good place to start. If not, and there are good alternatives for you that are free or at a much lower cost, that's the route I would take.

However, no wysiwig editor will ever replace html code knowledge. You can learn a lot by looking at how it's coded in your editor but there are also loads of sites on the internet with tutorials about HTML. It's something you can learn as you go, using an editor and tutorials.

Vaelor

Speaking as an obsessed anal retentive hand-coder, I can't endorse with any level of enthusiasm any WYSIWYG package, because I know the nightmare of trying to manual tidy up the digusting mess of code they inevitably produce.

If you know nothing about HTML, and getting your first site online is more of a hobby than a critically urgent priority, I'd strongly suggest skipping right to learning the HTML language yourself. You'll appreciate it in the long run rather than messing around with editors, and you'll have cut out the middle man and saved yourself a lot of time. If you're willing and able to do this, I strongly recommend a free tutorial site such as www.htmlgoodies.com (by far the best I've ever personally come across - has ever level of tutorial, from "What the heck is HTML?!", to more complex frames, tables, Javascript, style sheets, and so on... I still occasionally refer back to it myself when I forget how to do some little things, and I've been designed websites for over six years!) to guide you along the way.

If, however, you have zero interest in learning how to actually code properly and just want to bang a website together as quickly and simply as possible without learning the mechanics of it, the best WYSIWYG editor I ever came across was Allaire HomeSite (possibly since bought out by Macromedia, if it still exists at all..?). Failing that, I didn't mind DreamWeaver so much for functionality, and if I HAD to use a package now for god knows what reason, it would probably be that. Personally, I wouldn't touch Frontpage with a thousand foot pole, but that's just me.

Just my two cents worth anyway, hope it helps.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
very well put, vaelor! :) i agree 110% with you, but i am lazy and pressed for time, so dreamweaver has become my friend for the html/layout side of things. ;)

StephanieCordray

zkiller said:
very well put, vaelor! :) i agree 110% with you, but i am lazy and pressed for time, so dreamweaver has become my friend for the html/layout side of things. ;)

that's me, too, although i don't do much designing except for my own site... but i do everything inside of dreamweaver, lots of time just from the code view tho because of php.. which still hates me most of the time, hehe.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
So Stephanie, are you mostly still involved with web hosting these days?

Vaelor

Well, I've got nothing but spare time these days, but I'm lazy, unmotivated, and unskilled, so generally I either outsource things, or they just don't get done (see www.undiscoveredlore.com for a prime example - that site has been around half a decade or so now!!).

But still, am too fussy/control freakish to ever use code from a WYSIWYG editor, it just gets under my skin. Every time I've tried, I'll make some tiny little change, like adding a Javascript hit counter, or some small insignificant thing like that, and the whole page layout will go out of whack. So these days, it's hand coding, or no coding. =)

Mind you, I can bang out a basic HTML page in 5-20 minutes max now depending on length, so it's no huge deal. Getting the motivation to sit down and do it, now that's another matter. =P