Freelancers killed the design industry

kre8tivemonkey

We freelancers and design houses are killing our own industry. Why are so many people giving designs away for so cheap. It's a skilled craft that many business owners don't have. Why are we try to compete with all the "do it yourself" designs (such as vista print). If they want quality then they will come to us. We need to stop the 5 page website for $299 and the $99.99 for a logo (which is the companies BRAND - They should pay to create their brand).

This is just something to think about. I own Kre8tive Monkey and we are a high end CUSTOM design house. We're not cheap, but were good, (and I'm proud to say it).

Fireproofgfx

its so true that is why I raised my prices to $300 (website) and $100 (logo) lol... JK. But you are right. I know for me it started out I just didn't know what to charge and so I thought cheaper was better specially because I wasn't the greatest and I didn't know everything. But the more you do the more you realize you are not getting paid nearly enough money for what you do. The logo thing is huge because it is a BRAND so they should pay for something that will be theirs for the remainder of their business.

blacey

Cheap website development isn't good

I agree, to an extent. I wouldn't go as far as to say that, "freelancers killed the design industry". We all know it can take a while for a designer/developer to fully understand someone's business and its that understanding that will allow you to create a website or logo design that fully meets their business requirements.

It comes down the time old saying, you get what you pay for. If you pay £299 for a 5 page website chances are you'll be getting a template with a few design amends. This isn't so bad if your developing a website for a club or charity but for business websites its a big no-no. Cheap web development isn't always good!

Your business needs to look professional and stand out from the crowd, after all your website is the online store-front to your business; if it looks bad people will (more than likely) go elsewhere.

Last edited:

kre8tivemonkey

I had to laugh at a "potential client"

I had a "start-up" business call me (they are the worst LOL), and asked me for a logo. I explained I had to visit their business and talk to them (ask them some question) so I can get a feel for the type of work they do. After spending some time there and getting them a quote, they called me back and said they are going to use the "vista print" do it yourself logo. (When they finally get online, I'll post the web address so you all can get a good laugh). They were so proud because it only cost them $25.00 LOL

anna

I had a "start-up" business call me (they are the worst LOL), and asked me for a logo. I explained I had to visit their business and talk to them (ask them some question) so I can get a feel for the type of work they do. After spending some time there and getting them a quote, they called me back and said they are going to use the "vista print" do it yourself logo. (When they finally get online, I'll post the web address so you all can get a good laugh). They were so proud because it only cost them $25.00 LOL

Oh, NICE!! Keep us posted, def want to see that logo!

pearlrus

I'm currently coming up with pricing for web design. I don't have any work for anyone to look at though so I thought I would be super cheap for my trial businesses... bad idea??

What's a way I could design "fake websites" for preview? What would be a good price for small businesses from a new web designer?

chrishirst

Staff member
Hmmm?

For some strange reason it reminds me of this:

body-parts.jpg

gwenmonroe

Yes. You right, indeed. Maybe because there are lots of freelancers who accepts a project way far lower than an employed being.

chrishirst

Staff member
Actually it's not genuine "freelancers" or "contractors" that has caused the problems, it is the semi trained simians posing as contractors, combined with cheapskate "clients" who will take on the lowest bidder, that has damaged so many marketplaces making it almost impossible for anyone who do provide quality work at a realistic price to compete.