Frames, issue

andrew.lvp

Hey I made a site with frames, when I click a link on the side frame, the main frame would not change, only the content on the frame i clicked would change.
I understand that the link is only being applied to the side frame so the whole thing tries to load there, but I want the link to effect the whole thing, not just the side frame.
Do i have to set an option on Dreamweaver or something?

Thanks. Here is site: http://ais.kilu.de

kiko_friendly

I think I know what you are talking about!

You need to name your iframe - the frame that you want everything to link into, add this part of code into the tag that starts <iframe...

"name="main""

Obviously remove the outer quotes there.

And lastly, on each link that you want to "target" the "main" frame, in the tag that starts <a href...
Add this :

"target="main""

Removing the ouoter quotes.

I will go and look at your site now to see if that IS the problem.

Don't get me started on Dreamweaver! I have NO idea as to how to use it - I code in Notepad.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's pretty much the same thing in dreamweaver. you can either edit the code manually or use the properties box to name the inline frame and target your links in the design view..

andrew.lvp

Thank you for the help. It seemed like I just had to click one thing on the properties of the link...Target=main. I'm not much of a coder so I use the design view.
It is all good now, but I was just wondering why so often the layers appear lower then it is when I'm actually editing with Dreamweaver.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, once the frame is named dreamweaver should automatically pic up on it and add it to the target menu in the properties box. :)