For freelance web design jobs, do you have your customer set up the hosting/domain?

Destinite

I've created a few sites for customers of mine, and they never have their own hosting or domain purchased. I direct them to certain deals and they sign up like that, and give me the ftp login and password to upload, or I zip the website and e-mail it to them so they can upload it themselves, if they prefer.

I get the feeling like this is too much work for the customer, but on the other hand, if I am the one setting everything up, I need a credit card number, and I'm definitely not using mine. I'm sure the customer wouldn't like giving me their personal info, either.

Some customers have had no problem with it, and some have the attention span of my cat. The latter types can't figure out how to get a domain name and say "forget it".

So how do you do it for your customers?

Destinite

So basically what I could do is use the extra space on the server that I pay to have my website on and charge for that?

Destinite

My website barely uses any bandwidth or storage space as it is, though, and I usually deal with small-time businesses, so it would probably be to my advantage to "rent out" my remaining space though, right?

digitalextreme

All inclusive is what I provide for my customers. You will find as time goes on customers really dont want to do anything. We handle everthing, it the best way to get satified customers. If you need hosting I offer discounts to web designers and multiple accounts.

JMeZigns

I have been thinking about the very same thing. I am just starting out as a freelance designer and would like to focus highly on the customer experience. I think if I were to offer the complete service of uploading and domain registration, the impact on the customer experience would result in more referrals. I think I am going to be looking into a reseller account real soon. Better to start out that way than to wait I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

kbardot

Do it for them! Not only is it an additional selling point, but you can get a little extra cash for it. Just set them up on GoDaddy or some other host, and charge them accordingly. Easy as pie.

constanthosting

Do it for them! Not only is it an additional selling point, but you can get a little extra cash for it. Just set them up on GoDaddy or some other host, and charge them accordingly. Easy as pie.

I would do the same as this, do it for the web design client. It is definitely a selling point and can be "included" in the price of the design, unless they want to get the domain and hosting themselves. I wouldn't use godaddy... maybe jaguarpc.com Greg is a great guy (owner of jag) or hostgator.com Brent is a great guy also (owner of gator) or uhh, another hosting company, I dunno, maybe uhh ... ;):p:D