Flash News Ticker

honeyholz

In detail.....
I need some help, I'm trying to create a news ticker to go on my Flash site it needs to load an external txt or xml page and automatically scroll until the mouse hovers over it. I've been looking on the web and all I have found is Amara which is either a free trial or you have to purchase, but I need to create it from scratch. Any ideas???

stuluk28

hey, although I havent done this yet. I'm currently beginning to design my new flash site. I understand what you mean.

I know that using the loadMovie command can allow you to load external swfs, jpgs, bmps, etc. That might be worth searching for. Also try;
www.kirupa.com
www.actionscript.org
www.flashkit.com
www.ultrashock.com
These are all wickid flash sites, that are the first place I turn to when i've got a flashy question. sorry I couldn't help any further, still learning myself.

you should check out the load xml functionality in flash. It allows you to load xml data directly into your flash in action scripts. Search for it in google for a load of examples :)

honeyholz

Thanks these are helpful, so far managed to load external files into flash but getting them to auto-scroll isn't easy. ;-)

I have done this before but canlt see to find it :( , what you need to do is load the external xml document, put it into a dynamic text box and use actionscript to scroll it, i would have the box moving under a mask, and then a onMouseOver(Stop()) possibly and then link the text. I will have a looksie for you if i find it or just make a new one!

Thanks Shaun, FundamentalDesign