first site!

stuluk28

Hey it's nice for a first site, simple colours and all the text is legible. I did notice that you used Flash for the links. Now don't get me wrong – I love working in Flash, interacting with Flash and looking at new and clever uses for Flash on new websites – however, if it's just simple rollovers maybe it'd be easier to create some standard rollovers in dreamweaver?

Only a thought, It's just my opinion that you should use Flash when you need to use 'Flash' and the website will benifit from it not just for the sake of it. There's still people out there who don't or can't install the flash player on their comps. These people would have difficulty navigating through your site.

I really like the site but think you'd save yourself alot of hassle and make things easier for people viewing the site if you either replaced the Flash sections with regular HTML, or made something even 'funkier' that would warrant the use of Flash.

Also, I noticed that when you click and go to the 'submit a site' section there are now links to go to any other pages and you have to use the browsers 'back' button. On all the other pages there's a navigation section?

Sorry if this seems negative I do like the site, these are just a couple of things I thought I'd mention.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
With gaming websites, the norm seems to be having some cool gaming graphics to spice things up a bit. It looks a little too plain at the moment.

johnny jones

thanks

thanks a lot for the advice.. am not sure yet wether to use more flash or less...
unfortunately i'm no good at making graphics and can't afford to pay anyone else to do some for me.. and clip art won't quite cut the mustard.. i think...?

thrive

You can create the same effect with a little bit of javascript and some gifs. Flash is not universally used and will be a pain to put on your site with ie7 coming out.

ISDProductions

I like it, the one Thing I would change is the rollover color. The green just looks weird to me, I would try maybe a darker or lighter red. PS - this is one of maybe 3 websites I've ever seen that I think that red is worked in well. Good job for your first site

ISDProductions

thrive said:
You can create the same effect with a little bit of javascript and some gifs. Flash is not universally used and will be a pain to put on your site with ie7 coming out.

Is there something specific with IE7 that will effect flash? I have been running IE7 beta for a few months now without any problems (atleast as far as flash is concerned)

WiscoKid

you have arcade emulators twice on the home page.

also, when you click into a genre, don't split [arcade
emulators]

that's all for now

WiscoKid

well right now when i click your link, it brings me to your host. but before when i got to your homepage, you had the "arcade emulators" listed twice. and then when you click a category, i get [arcade on one line and emulators] on the next line. They would be happier on the same line.