First site, assistance requested, please!

Robert Challess

Good day everyone
My very first web-site is, I believe, around 90-95% complete and will shortly go live.

Site is www.cv-expert.co.uk

I would very much appreciate your comment(s) concerning this and how I may improve either appearance or content.
I have elected to use a ‘liquid’ (?) layout which seems to adjust itself correctly for various screen resolutions but I do have a number of reservations:

i) I have used font definition of ‘ems’ in an attempt to provide a similar screen for various browsers. Despite this, Firefox representation of text is sensibly smaller than Explorer, the latter being slightly oversize. If the text is reduced still further then Firefox renders in excess of 15 words per line when viewed on a typical 17” screen (1280 x 1024).

ii) In order to allow greater control and consistency of text I am considering reverting to a fixed width page, based upon, say, 1024 x 768 pixels; is this reasonable on the basis that most individuals now have, at least, 17” screens?

iii) I have read that SEO is largely achieved by means of external links, but would still like to optimise those items directly under my control. This site has some thirty odd pages involving slightly different aspects of the same subject matter; I have used the same ‘keywords’ entry on all pages, resulting in several (all?) pages having some keywords that are not actually within the body text; is this of importance?
This could go on … and on!!!
Sorry, any comments/advice appreciated.

Many thanks

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The line which says "Your future is our business" does not serve any purpose and takes up a lot of space.
Also in the left navigation, the "CV" Prefix looks a little spamlike.
The site is simple and well laid out and definitely search friendly. As to resolution, I dont know what the common standard is, but I use a 17" monitor at 1024x768 and it looks fine for me.