first post - looking for some help

Shaungraha

Hi this is my first post, so go easy on me!

Looking for a little guidance on an issue i'm having.

I run the website for the company i work for and recently have noticed that one of our main competitors have got a hyperlink to us, using our trading name as the anchor text. Nothing to worry about right? Except when someone searches for our company on google their links page is turning up in the results and potentially stealing traffic. Does anybody know if there is any law (maybe copyright?) that they are breaking? Just to give me grounds to ask them to remove it

Thanks
Shaun

DLPerry

You might contact them and advise them that your company has specific linking guidelines (such as using specific link text, using tracking code, etc.) and ask them politely but firmly to comply with your guidelines or remove the link entirely.
If you ARE getting traffic to your site from thier link - you might want to employ some sort of tracking code to collect activity data.

hth

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar problem with this site when it was started, took well over a year to get fixed.
Technically someone linking to you should have absolutely no effect on your site rankings or inclusion in search engines, but the reality is that it can happen.