Feedback

1000faces

Hi Forums!

What do you think of this website (75% done)? Does it look professional? unprofessional? above average? satisfactory? cheap? Everything on it is built from scratch as far as graphics, textures, logos, text content, concept etc. It includes support for setting up/securing the domain, setting up email accounts (the domain it's on now is temp), uploading all files, integrating with FB & Angie's List by setting up brand new accounts and optimizing for promotion of the business, post support to some degree with updates if needed and a ton of other things I'm probably forgetting. Everybody seems to be an "expert" that I've asked about this but the prices are all over the place. I just wanted to get some general feedback from you guys on what should be charged for something like this because I respect the pool of knowledge and skill amongst the members here. Thanks guys.

Helping Hands

Nathan Joshua

It is very very slow at loading, I think most people will turn away before waiting for it to load.

PNG images are rather slow at loading, avoid using them unless it is necessary. JPEG images are good.

Other than that the design is nice.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I would try using some text on the page instead of showing the text as an image.
The page will load faster and better for SEO.
I would also not span the grass at the bottom, the full width of the browser.
I would keep it in line with the rest of the page.

JakClark

Really not keen on the design, to be honest. I mean, it's not a bad site, but to me it doesn't really conform to 'modern standards' in terms of the look and feel.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The code is miserable, the design looks dated and text as image? Wtf!
For 5 pages, and your level of “professionalism“ you'd be lucky to get $500 for it.

RAJO

its fine , but you need more professional design i kind of lost you actually there a little but its nice , good luck with it

benjamin.morgan

On the Helping hands and a truck image it could be done with text and css like it should be, it would definitely be better for SEO and I would lose the hover effect. It looks like you used point and click software from a hosting company.

jackrabbithanna

I actually think your website is kinda cute.

Your need to make some changes or your SEO results will be dismal. On the services page each category with list is an image and these should be text elements. Search engines index text not images....you will have your services keyword indexed. That is is major no-no. You need your local service area in text to....and not just a list. I recommend a page with each service or keyword and at least a paragraph or two of text with pertinent information containing your keyword in relevant context. Headings and page titles should contain service keywords. You need some outbound links to related or helpful information...don't be an island in the internet landscape!

AsheSkyler

I like the design overall, but it's likely to get labeled as an amateur design with all the images.

Your grass is floating on my screen and the Services page bumps to the left a bit. A Lightbox or something similar would help the Before & After page.

Pricing is not my forte. I have a bad habit of underselling.

krymson

These comments are not nice and they apply to every novice web designer on this forum who sells less than mediocre services... If your feelings get hurt easily please skip my section... you have been warned

... Wow reading alot of these responses from new people to the forum... just makes me think how saturated our industry is becoming with complete novices who think if a website somewhat looks good graphically thats it's an amazing site...

I guess I'll be the douche that lets the cat out of the bag...

To put it nicely the site completely and utterly sucks 75% done or not... There is not one bit of actual text ANYWHERE on the website, nothing in the form of an alt tag on any of the images so incase the browser doesn't load images you're looking at a bunch of crap. The site load VERY slow mainly due to all of the images... Its a mediocre design at best with the poorest execution i've ever seen with a website. I would have preferred to see tables and flash than this.

If your a graphic designer stick to just that and leave making the website function properly to people who are actually trained to do so. Or at least learn how to build a proper website before you start trying to sell shabby services that real web designers have to go in after you and clean it up and have to deal with the lack of trust from a good paying client because they were screwed by their previous web designer.

To every novice web designer NOT selling services yet please learn the craft before you saturate an already saturated industry. Focus on client and provider relationships. If you're going to provide a service please provide the best quality service, dont do it just to make a quick dollar. Do it because you what to help your client succeed. Putting out trash is not doing anything good for your client, they would be better off doing it themselves on a wix or intuit site...

Please feel free to comment or bad mouth my post all you want now, but prove me wrong if you want to bad mouth me... that's all I ask

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With all that being said, here is how you can improve your site...

Learn proper html and css. Everything that you are trying to accomplish can easily be done using some html and css NOT images for text...

I'm glad you're using jquery sliders and not flash, bonus points to you on an already negative score.

As I have already stated the design is mediocre. you have clean images... that's it really.

You those images to build a clean modern design, get some inspiration from some place like www.templatemonster.com

if this business wants to be successful then you're going to have to think of SEO, since you probably don't know what that means, that's search engine optimization. It's how you can help this site rank on google for keywords searched for in google.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh in the first part of this post BUT people need to know the hard truth... not the sugar coated one. Anyone who knows how to use photoshop can cut and splice together a website, but it takes a real "WEB DESIGNER" to take that photoshop image, code it and make it work like the client wants.

You're in a community that you can reach out to, I would have posted this in the web design forum and said I dont think this is good enough what can I do better. Not here's basically my final product, how much do you think I can get for it.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
harsh but true from Jonathon.

To every novice web designer NOT selling services yet please learn the craft before you saturate an already saturated industry. Focus on client and provider relationships. If you're going to provide a service please provide the best quality service, dont do it just to make a quick dollar. Do it because you what to help your client succeed. Putting out trash is not doing anything good for your client, they would be better off doing it themselves on a wix or intuit site...

couldn't have said it better myself...

krymson

I'm glad someone agrees. I'm sorry to come off as an @$$hole but 80% of the clients i deal with or even prospects for that matter have no trust in web designers because their previous web designer didn't deliver what they promised or when it came time to change a functionality they were no where to be found.

Phreadee in know you, CaldwellYSR, RonaldRoe, and many others know what my rant is about.

To all of you beginners out there, we are here to help teach you... The right way... To build a solid foundation so you can be successful... You can only be successful for so long screwing people over, word of mouth will catch up with you. You will be far more successful if you provide an honest service, because like I said... word of mouth will catch up with you.

daviedR

I think you need to optimize your loading performance. This article, I wrote may help you to improve performance and speed on client side. Here is the link,

Improving your site performance and speed

Other than that, I think you should learn web design nowadays. Your design is already classic. No offence, you should find how websites are done nowadays. You need inspiration to re-do your more fresh design. Take a look at "designs" section on my website. There you could choose what category, style, and color do you prefer. Here is the link:

Inspiring Web Designs Archive