Feedback please

Edge

Hi Folks,
Been working on our new site: edgethreesixty.com. Apart from the news, article and blog section it's pretty much done and was interested in feedback. I can tell you now the code under the bonnet has extreme divitis and we're looking to trim that down and get it to validate. Other than that any comments?

notarypublic

Not bad! I like the colors, the graphics are clean and professional.

A couple things, though -
* Hover states on links are optional, certainly.. but it's nice feedback to know how much of a line of text is a link when I mouse over it. I like that it's a responsive design, but for your mobile users it isn't readily apparent what are even links at all (they won't have a hand cursor to hover over them with). Just something to consider.
* A good trick I picked up from working at a web shop - Your phone number at the top of the page ("call to action" as we would call it) should also have your email address or physical address paired with it, if applicable. Even better if instead of just text, it's a link to your contact form. I'd recommend switching the location of the "about us" and "contact us" links too.

Otherwise, great work!

Websynergi

It scales nicely, I didn't try it on a mobile device but I'm guessing its been built to fit down to their different sizes.

Private-I

nice design! the only thing I don't like is the snapshots of other website you cycle through at the top. I know you've put them at an angle to distinguish them from the rest of the page but I initially though they were part of your webpage and tried clicking on of the links lol

helloworld

great website design!

hey.. i really like this design. good job!

i really love the idea behind your top nav once you scroll down a bit.. but have a few things id do differently:

since its pretty much exactly the same as it is before you scroll, but with the logo a bit smaller.. i think you could just have this be a fixed nav that animates margins and the size of the logo image when you scroll instead of the overused panel?

again.. only picking on ya cause i like the work!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice design! the only thing I don't like is the snapshots of other website you cycle through at the top. I know you've put them at an angle to distinguish them from the rest of the page but I initially though they were part of your webpage and tried clicking on of the links lol

I guess this slideshow would be better utilised if it clicked through to the project it was referring to. I realise the titles do work in that fashion, but evident by the post quoted above, I think it would be an improvement.

And then on that client page, tell the world what you did for that client. Did you just build their website? Is there marketing and promotions and strategy involved too? Selling yourself whilst showing off what you have done for past clients is a pretty good way to make future clients look on you favourably. Everyone wins really.

Nice usage of isotope. one of my favourite scripts at the moment.
the filtering is a handy idea. although you may want to look at how that list goes as the browser shrinks. it starts to get a little messy smaller.

the form items would look sharper if they aligned, but that's just being picky now.

overall you've done a pretty tidy job with this.

chrishirst

Staff member
Well, I clicked the URL AND waited the entire 45 seconds or so it took to load all the remote javascripts, though I do admit that the ONLY reason I waited was due to my machine being totally unresponsive during that period of time and I couldn't hit the close button. That alone would NOT instill confidence in a potential customer.

@Everybody:
If you REALLY NEED all those massive 'libraries' try and load them AFTER some visible content, so your potential customer can marvel at your design skills without having to sit through half a minute+ of blank screen first.

Treat EVERY page of an introductory commercial website as if it is your office reception or a client waiting area, because I bet you don't have four blank walls that are devoid of any features there.

Edge

That's interesting, I never thought about that. I'll have to either make it more obvious or rework it.

Edge

hey.. i really like this design. good job!

i really love the idea behind your top nav once you scroll down a bit.. but have a few things id do differently:

since its pretty much exactly the same as it is before you scroll, but with the logo a bit smaller.. i think you could just have this be a fixed nav that animates margins and the size of the logo image when you scroll instead of the overused panel?

again.. only picking on ya cause i like the work!
That's an idea actually. We had it fixed originally but it was too obtrusive so scripting might be put to better use just reducing logo size.

Edge

I guess this slideshow would be better utilised if it clicked through to the project it was referring to. I realise the titles do work in that fashion, but evident by the post quoted above, I think it would be an improvement.

And then on that client page, tell the world what you did for that client. Did you just build their website? Is there marketing and promotions and strategy involved too? Selling yourself whilst showing off what you have done for past clients is a pretty good way to make future clients look on you favourably. Everyone wins really.

Nice usage of isotope. one of my favourite scripts at the moment.
the filtering is a handy idea. although you may want to look at how that list goes as the browser shrinks. it starts to get a little messy smaller.

the form items would look sharper if they aligned, but that's just being picky now.

overall you've done a pretty tidy job with this.
Good points and top of the list would be the content development which gives more insight into what we did for the client. We'll tidy up other bits too.

chrishirst

Staff member
Does NOBODY read the post reports??

There are THREE faked signatures in a row here and ALL are blatantly obvious!