Feedback on website much appreciated

stuartpb

I've almost finished a website that is a personal project. I've just taken a website design and maintenance module as part of my degree course, and was it's given me the idea to create this site. I have some experience with CSS and HTML, but very limited experience of PHP, so I wanted to try and build a CMS, using PHP. I'm studying for a BSc in IT & Organisations, but I'm really very interested in web design, and may take up some other web design/ scripting courses while I'm at uni.

I have the functionality of the site working, apart from a contact page and possibly a commenting system on the articles, so I'm now looking at tarting up the site. It's looking rough and ready at the moment, so any ideas, comments or suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated. I do like the color scheme, so I would like to keep that as is (or with little change). I know there are one or two jobs left to do, including adding a contact page.

Thanks,

Stu

The link is: http://webdesign.hexsys.co.uk

AK Web Design

I like the layout. However, I think for a professional web design company, you should use different colors. I would change the orange to a dark blue or something similar.

Out of curiousity, how long have you been doing website design?

stuartpb

Hi, and thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I do like the orange, but can see that it may be too much.

I have been messing round with HTML and CSS for a couple of years, but most of that was just making minor changes to templates on Joomla or Wordpress. I've never built a complete website before I took the module I mentioned at uni, and this is my first real effort at using PHP too. The course I took was for 12 weeks, and I built a HTML/CSS based site for the final assignment, this one I have linked to here is something I wanted to do on a personal level. I'm not trying to advertise my services & skills (or lack of:)), I just want somewhere where I can reference my learning progress as I gain confidence, and also somewhere where I can try out new techniques as I learn them.

That was the long winded answer, the short one is I've been taking web design more seriously since I started the module, so around 12 weeks now.

PS Happy Xmas too!

syxx

Good layout, I would add some more content and keyword rich text on your pages though. The updated articles on the side is nice.

stuartpb

Thanks for the heads up. I've been working on the CSS styling tonight, and you must have caught me when I was working. I've double checked and it seems fine now.

che09

Just to let you know, the link to your website is not working any longer.

It works for me.

Anyways,I like your site,I have no issue about anything. The design is great as the navigation is also easy!! Contents are also nice,I like that you added photos,especially in your 'about me' section.

Being a family man,I guess those photos could justify what you are stating are true!! ;)

stuartpb

aside from the rules stating that this type of post is not allowed, your article links at a glance look like ads and the color scheme of the site is weak.

I wasn't aware that my post broke the rules, if this is the case then I do apologise. Regards your "feedback" I think I would have to disagree with both points, but thanks for the input though:)

EDIT: I've just re-read the rules of this forum, and I can't see where I have contravened them. Could you let me know how I have please, for future reference? Thanks.

Last edited:

stuartpb

You've kind of lost me with that. I have replied to the replies I received within the post I created. How is that against forum rules, or even abusing them? I'm not a website delevoper either, I have been studying web design at Uni, and decided to create a personal website to chart my learning progress. I did stipulate that fact in my original post. I wanted constructive criticism from other people on the layout and design of the site.

Can I ask why you felt the need to raise issue with my posts and this thread, when you yourself are only a newcomer to this website? Can I also ask why you haven't tried to admonish anyone else posting similar threads in this forum? As for my four posts all being here, have you ever thought that because I'm new here, I'm hesitant to post in threads where I'm such a latecomer? Not everyone goes wading in to a new forum with their size 12's you know.

stuartpb

Registered on: 12-Apr-2005

pardon me but i think your full of $*!@

Thanks for the useful reply. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, you came on this thread and accused me of abusing the forum, and breaking the rules. Why you felt the need to do so, when there are admins and moderators present, I don't know. If you felt that strongly, you should have reported my posts, and you still can if you like. Now if you don't like this thread, you don't have to read it.

I created it to gain constructive feedback from other people who are more knowledgeable than myself, not to get into a spat with someone who clearly deems to hold themself in a higher position. It does seem you weren't bothered about giving feedback, and were more bothered about my apparent rule breaking, if this is the case, then as I said - report it to the admins or mods!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered on: 12-Apr-2005

pardon me but i think your full of $*!@

I have sent you a PM about this type of attitude. The date a person has registered has no bearing, if their comments are helpful and positive.

Keep it up, and you will see an abrupt end to your stay here.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't aware that my post broke the rules, if this is the case then I do apologise. Regards your "feedback" I think I would have to disagree with both points, but thanks for the input though:)

EDIT: I've just re-read the rules of this forum, and I can't see where I have contravened them. Could you let me know how I have please, for future reference? Thanks.

You have not broken the rules of this forum, disregard Dorkys comments.

stuartpb

I've given the website a facelift, and tried to be more creative with it. If anyone would like to have a look and give their honest opinions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

http://webdesign.hexsys.co.uk

EDIT: I almost forgot, the new website is now using HTML5 with CSS3, so it's best viewed in Chrome/Firefox/IE9 Beta. I have tried to get the visuals to degrade well enough for IE8.

Last edited:

stuartpb

Well the tarting up process is pretty much done now, I've still got to sort a few backend features and snags out. I'm really happy with the site now, but I'm under no illusions that it may not be to everyone's taste. The design of the site has changed radically since I first posted here about it, and I would really appreciate it if any of you guys could offer any feedback. Be brutally honest too, it will be appreciated, and I've got a solid chin:)

Thanks in advance,

Stu

d a v e

it's very slow to scroll - i have a 2.6 gig processor, 2gig ram, windows vista, latest firefox (stable not beta), ati radeon hd 4870 (1gb)

i would avoid fully-justified text in most cases because browsers have such a clumsy way of dealing with it: look "I added new custom modules to the website, which offered improved functionality. " with huge gaps between words :(

i'm not too comfortable about seeing your face behind the content any more than i would be seeing mine :) it kind of creeps into my focus when i'm looking at the site content - which is not good for a background

otherwise i quite like it ;)

stuartpb

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of any scrolling problems, I've not noticed anything on my PC, so thanks for that. Point taken on the justification of the text, I did wonder if it was too much. Regards the photo, I don't have any images to hand that I could have used for the background, so I used what I had, the one of me. I'm not vain enough to believe that I make the site any prettier either:D It's only temporary till I figure what would work, or if I'm going to keep the image background at all. I use a JS script to resize the background image to the browser window size, so that could possibly be the cause of the scrolling issue. I'll be having a mess around over the next couple of days, to sort out the background.

Thanks for being honest and giving your feedback, it's much appreciated!

stuartpb

Dave,

I've removed the background and background script on only the home page, could you have a look and see how that scrolls if you have a minute spare please? I've tried FF, Chrome and IE8 and am not having any issues.

Thanks again,

Stu