Event registration software

sambolo

Hello,

Please I need an advice here though I may sound stupid.

What opensource softwares can I use to build an event registration sofware like eventbrite and cvent?

Definitely a lighter version but it should be possible for a user to create an administrator account that can manage an event with multi sessions or multi days.

Potential partcipants should be able to register for part or all the sessions of the events.

The truth is I only have mysql skills and a basic knoledge of C but am ready to spend sleepless night for this task.

Can Drupal or Wordpress achieve this?

Thanks in anticipation for an answer.

sambolo

Thanks chrishirst,

Pls can u advice me which one will be preferable to work with as a beginner.
Drupal, wordpress or Joomla?
I know basics of HTML and a bit of MySQL but will this be sufficient to the job done on this platforms or would I need some extra skills?
I'm only used to windows OS and I'm scarred if I would have to use Linux.
I would be grateful for your advice.
Thanks

chrishirst

Staff member
Well I've never been a fan of Drupal, Wordpress is a bit like a teabag where security is concerned and although Joomla! can be seriously daunting if you go into it cold, it is probably the better choice.
Having a working knowledge of HTML and CSS is needed to modify the templates, but you don't necessarily need any great PHP or MySQL skills unless you plan to write your own modules/plugins.

With any CMS one thing NOT to do is to use the default database names, table prefixes and default admin username, which is usually 'admin', change them it won't stop the dedicated crackers, but it slows down the script kiddie 'hackers' a bit.

sambolo

Thanks for your well informed message. What open source CMS do you use or can recommend that is not daunting for a beginner like me.
Thanks