e-shop, merchant service to use

demian

First of all hello to everyone! I'm new here
I know this is a little off-topic, but maybe some of you will find it in their hearts to help me. [:I]
I'm working on developing a little project for myself, an online shop. I've got the rest pretty much covered, except for the choice of merchant accounts (third party will work for now as well). If anyone here has any suggestions in this matter I'd be more than glad to learn about them. Thank you very much for any help you may provide for me!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have only ever used paypal.com and they are excellent, but the disadvantage is that you have to setup an account with them. Some people dont like to do that, thats where services like 2checkout.com would come in handy, as you can just provide your credit card details without creating any kind of account, from what I understand. Is that right Stephanie?

StephanieCordray

Yes, that's right. A year or so ago I almost gave up on them because their servers were always down but haven't had any problems since then. I believe they also have one of the lowest rates for transactions although a bunch of new ones have cropped up that may be priced competitively.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst pricing is important, reputation and trustworthiness and financial backing/stability are factors which are just as important as pricing. I wouldnt trust a new company with no record unless they were backed by someone very very big.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't know why so many people have a problem with using paypal. i have never had a problem with them and being that they are owned by ebay now, you don't have to worry about them going under anytime soon. :)

demian

wow, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I'll get on it and see what I can learn about each one of these services you were so kind to suggest. I think, however, that paypal isn't going to work for me...

Excalibur

If you can't use paypal then I'll suggest using ikobo. It’s similar to paypal but it has a larger coverage and it’s fees are a little bit lower.

demian

Well, it's true, I can't use paypal apparently since they won't allow my country. I'll take a look at this ikobo you're talking about and see what they're all about. So far I know one thing for sure: worldpay is waaaay out of my reach. :(

demian

Apparently this ikobo someone mentioned may be what I'm looking for since it's quite cheap, with no signup or other fees, and what's very important it works well for my country (or so do the people I've talked to say). I'll give it some more thought.
Oh yeah, what's with that ikard i keep hearing about?

demian

apparently (I've read some more) it's a visa card ikobo sends each user and they can use it to withdraw their money from an ATM... sounds really good. Anyone else care to share thoughts?

demian

Me again... so, anyone using ikobo here? I just wanted to ask a question about the ikard. What would I have to do in order to get it, open up a bank account or something? Is it really free? :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think anyone here uses it, the best way to find all of that out, is to ask the company direct, if it is not clearly explained on their website.

demian

Maybe you're right, maybe no one is using it... although excalibur seemed to know more than he was telling us. :rolleyes:
It does explain things on the website, but I wanted to hear it from someone who's actually using it, maybe even using it for a while. Anyway, thanks for your help everyone, I'll look into this matter a little more than make my decision.

demian

Thanks, it's not big, but I suppose it can grow. Maybe some of the folks here will be able to answer my question. Anyway, since we're mentioning groups about ikobo, I also found this Google group. Suppose it's also worth taking a look at.