Dreamweaver FTP| How to Overwrite Old Files

etangins

I am using Dreamweaver to transfer files from my local computer to the ftp. I am continuously uploading updated files with the same name as files I already uploaded as I improve them. My problem is that I don't think Dreamweaver is overwriting the old files. I will upload my entire site with all its updated files, and then will see that my old files still appear on the website. How can I get Dreamweaver to overwrite these files much like the computer overwrites files with the same name when you copy them to a location?

etangins

If you mean refresh the page, that is not what my problem is. The pages themselves won't update to the new version even if I refresh. If that is not what you are referring to, when should I do that?

chrishirst

Staff member
Ctrl+F5 is a "hard" refresh where it forces the browser to reload from the server not just the cached page.

Other than that what are the sync setting in the DW remote site setup?

etangins

That did not help. I also tried viewing it on an entirely different computer. My sync settings are whatever the default ones are. I do get this message about overwritting a files with the options yes, yes to all, no, and no to all. I have tried all four of them and nothing has worked.

etangins

I just found this online site called net2ftp which is working. I would still like to be able to know why it is not working on dreamweaver but I am not as desperate now that I found another site. Do you know if it is reputable because it seems so?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dw FTP can be sketchy at best. I would use an FTP program such as FileZilla. It's free too.

chrishirst

Staff member
My sync settings are whatever the default ones are

Not much help to a non-DW user I have to say, however; Set them so the local copy is always PUT to the remote, that way you avoid issues with time differences between your client and the server and DW's FTP client 'deciding' that the remote copy is 'newer' and promptly overwriting your local copy instead of updating the server copy.