Domain Propagation

undoIT

Recently I moved a site to a new hosting company. After pointing the name servers to the new host, the site has been switching back and forth between the old server and the new server. I know that it takes 24-48 hours to fully propagate.

Here's the strange thing. Sometimes I get the old server in one browser and the new server in another browser. For example, in Firefox I am able to see the site on the new server and browse around. In Opera, I am seeing the older server even after completely clearing the browser cache. This has been going on for the past two days.

Has anyone else seen this? Very strange.

abwebdesign

Recently I moved a site to a new hosting company. After pointing the name servers to the new host, the site has been switching back and forth between the old server and the new server. I know that it takes 24-48 hours to fully propagate.

Here's the strange thing. Sometimes I get the old server in one browser and the new server in another browser. For example, in Firefox I am able to see the site on the new server and browse around. In Opera, I am seeing the older server even after completely clearing the browser cache. This has been going on for the past two days.

Has anyone else seen this? Very strange.
That is very strange indeed. I am not sure about this one, but I will do some research and get back to you shortly...

undoIT

It is really bizarre. I thought that one of the browsers might be caching DNS. I just finished a complete reboot, then a complete clear of Opera cache. Opera is pulling from the old server and Firefox is pulling from the new server. This has happened at least 10 times over the past two days. And then all of the sudden, both browsers will start working at some magic moment. Just weird.

abwebdesign

It is really bizarre. I thought that one of the browsers might be caching DNS. I just finished a complete reboot, then a complete clear of Opera cache. Opera is pulling from the old server and Firefox is pulling from the new server. This has happened at least 10 times over the past two days. And then all of the sudden, both browsers will start working at some magic moment. Just weird.
Can you post or email me the old and new IPs and domain name.
And possibly the DNS information as well?

undoIT

Here is the website:

http://couponsdealuxe.com

If you are seeing the site, then you are getting the new server. If you are seeing an empty public_html folder with nothing in it except cgi-bin folder, it is the old server.

Last edited:

abwebdesign

You may find some useful information here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/595570.html

But first, try flushing your DNS log.

For Windows:
Start>Run, type in cmd -->OK. At the comand prompt, type in ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. At the command prompt again, type in ''ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

If neither of these fix your issue, it is most likely a lag in the DNS propagation as it is updating on different servers, and it should resolve itself on its own.

undoIT

Thank you for the info. I am running Ubuntu Linux. Since the last post, Opera has started working again.

abwebdesign

Thank you for the info. I am running Ubuntu Linux. Since the last post, Opera has started working again.
Just a quick note, I did a few ping tests on your domain.

www.coupons-or-deals.com: 100% packet return (4 of 4) | 3 times, same response
coupons-or-deals.com: 75% packet return (3 of 4) | 3 times, same response

Seems to me that something is not quite right there.

undoIT

Hmm... I just ran a ping (it is different in Ubuntu terminal).

It has gone through 80 pings and they have all come back with the new server and ~75ms response time.

It does seem like propagation is taking longer than usual. Been through server moves a dozen times and it never took this long to completely propagate before.

e-Peaks

Yes, it is very strange. But a good topic to explore. One thing I want to ask; have you removed all of your website files from the previous hosting server? If not try to do so. Also request your previous hosting provider to close your account immediately even if your hosting renewal date is far away.