Domain Name Unavailable (Ideas?)

Tom59593

Hi there,

I am currently working for a client who has already developed (on a small local scale only) the brand name of "ecochic." As I was beginning to design her new site, I found that the domain name is going to be a problem.

Here are my (failed) attempts at finding an acceptable domain:
ecochic.com --> taken (forwards to www.ecofabulous.com)
ecochic.net --> taken (an old WordPress blog with no updates since 2008)
ecochic.org --> taken
ecochicboutique.com --> taken
ecochicboutique.net --> taken
ecochicboutique.org --> taken
theecochic.com --> taken
theecochic.net --> taken
theecochic.org --> taken
ecochicshop.com --> taken
ecochicshop.net --> taken

So, as I struggle to find something usable for the client, I am finding things to be quite difficult. I have sent emails to the administrator of ecofabulous.com to see if they would be willing to sell ecochic.com to us, so we'll see where that goes. As far as the ecochic.net wordpress site, I don't know how to get ahold of anyone for that site (no contact info)...

I don't really want to tell her that her current business name needs to change, as she is quite attached to it...but it may be the only option.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!!

-Tom-

ian

Administrator
Staff member
either they will need to fork out some decent cash for ecochic.com or settle for something else. I would try and stick with a .com variant of the domain she is after.

Tom59593

Ian-

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking about, as well. I have found that eco-chicbaby.com is available. What are your thoughts on the hyphen and adding the word baby to the end? The business name is technically Eco-chic, but it is centered about babies so perhaps that isn't a bad alternative...

My issue with the domain name is that it's hard to "say" a hyphen if you are talking to a friend about a site. It's not bad if you are reading about the site, but word-of-mouth might be difficult with the hyphen in there.

Any thoughts for or to the contrary?

THANK YOU!!!

-Tom-

ian

Administrator
Staff member
definitely do not go for the hyphenated domain.
Yes, I do have hyphenated domains myself, one example is http://www.internet-business.com which is in my signature, but I only resort to hyphens, if the keywords are good, and clearly the non hyphenated version is gone and would be too costly to buy. Those searched for keywords can help you, but for a brand product, no way I would use a hyphenated domain.
I would keep looking for something that is available
try this site
http://domain-search.domaintools.co...search_type=advanced&bc=rows&de_search=Search
look at the radio buttons that are greyed out, they usually represent domains which were registered before, but have been left to expire, you can usually find a few good ideas there
for instance ecochicbaby.com is not available but ecochicbabies.com was previously registered but deleted, but there are a few other options there.

RyanFromNBI

I agree with Ian. Unless there is a compelling reason to do so, do not use hyphens and ALWAYS use a .com.

If you cannot get the domain name to match the name of the business exactly, see if you can come up with keywords and or a section of the tagline for the business that says something about the product or service that is provided.

What does the echochic business do?

Tom59593

Ryan,

The ecochic business is a family-started program that sells products to families who want to ensure a clean environment for their baby's futures. The owner of the business designs unique pieces of clothing for each family, and they sell cloth diapers and all services associated with them. Further, they offer consulting services to help families deal with the changes and difficulties that "going green" can create.

As far as the domain name goes, the client is debating between a couple of different ideas now. I've expressed my discontent with the hyphenated name, but in the end we will see if she takes that into account.

Thanks for all your help guys!

-Tom Winchester-

RyanFromNBI

Tom,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I didn't see the notification e-mail.

Anyway, with that being what the company sells I'd look for domain names that say more about the product. Start out with keyword (especially ones that you think people will be using when searching for those products)

green
baby
environment
family
clothes

etc.

This business has a bit of a problem in that they seem to be throwing a very wide net:

Custom, family clothing design, cloth diapers, and diaper services. Those seem to be different businesses, IMHO. In my experience websites that are more focused on a specific product or service tend to do better.

For example. I recently picked up a client that needs a website to sell collectibles online. He didn't have a domain either and needed help picking one.

After talking to him for a while it became evident that he was going to focus on selling art pottery but that he wanted to include other collectibles (paintings, furniture, etc.) I suggested that he decide on a focus and from that we'll choose a domain name. ArtPotteryCollectibles.com is what I came up with (as I write this the site isn't yet finished). That domain does a number of things for him:

1. It says exactly what is there.
2. It contains keywords directly related to his primary product
3. It is easy to remember and type.

I'd go back to the client and ask them what they think their most profitable product or service might be and see if they can narrow the focus a bit.

It will help them tighten the business model and it will also help them narrow down the scope of the domain. Once they do that revise the list of keywords (which also gets you started on your SEO and SEM work) and see what you can come up with for a domain name from those keywords.

As you mentioned, don't use anything that's hyphenated.

Just my $.02.

sowhatever

Hey Tom

Since its going to be a unique business for a client and it is a family business ,a name like myecochick.com would be ideal ( my guess ) and its available.

-Steve