differences in colors in different search engines

cerus

hello,

I have a problem with website colours. During my worked I used Mac OSX and either Safari or Firefox to control the changes. Everything looked ok as I wanted. When I opened the website on a laptop with Microsoft Windows, I was really surprised how nasty the colour scheme looked in IE (the effect from the Firefox also left much to desire). Can you suggest how to avoid such differences, what to do with colours, what to read?? Maybe there is some website discussing this problem. I have already read some articles about color management; however, they all refer to the digital vs. printed-out images. I am not suggesting someone doing this job for me, but I am not sure how to approach the problem.
I am aware that a computer screen and other stuff contribute to the overall effect; however, several people using either the IE or Firefox on different computers confirmed that it looks terrible.

Thank you in advance,
cerus

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you defining your colors? Different browsers render color names differently, where hex definitions are usually pretty close across the board.

DHDdirect

Just as a side note, depending on the angle you are looking at a laptop screen can make a big difference with colors (depending on the model of laptop as well).

This may not have anything to do with your issue but it's handy to keep that in mind when designing.

Also you need to be careful of other peoples perspective. You never know, the people you ask may think the colors look terrible with any browser or computer screen unless you are asking them specifically if they are comparing the same website with these different browsers and screens etc :)

Last edited:

cerus

thank you for your suggestions. The image looks like this:
all_pics_modern_final2forum.png

best,
cerus

Tim

Isn't is that safari and firefox darken the background a little bit so you are more focused on your main website?

d a v e

is that the actual image or a screenshot? if it's a screen shot then post a link to the actual image. also what are you using to make the images and how are you exporting/saving?

are you using a colour profile?

cerus

This is not a screenshot, but PNG image. I am exporting the RGB image for web devices as PNG-24. Still it seems also that the transparency looks a little bit blurry and..the colors of course differ considerably.
Thank you for you interest.
Best,
cerus

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
What version of IE are we talking about? IE <7 doesn't support PNG alpha transparency, and it shows up with a funky grey background, which would distort your colors.