Difference between browser display & monitor resolution?

SkyRider

I'm looking for insights on the difference between browser display and monitor resolution.

I am told that in general, you should design to a 1024x768 browser display size. (w3schools says as of Jan 09 browser display stats showed that most computers are using a screen size of 1024x768 pixels or more).

So, I would assume if someone is using Photoshop to design their webpage before building it out into html, they should design for their live area to be within the 1024x768 pixel size (and actually they should design shorter -- like around 570-580px since tool bars take up viewing space) -- right?

But, when I pose that rationale to a particular person I work with, he pushes back with "yeah, but it all depends on what resolution your monitor is set at -- they could have a 15" monitor but have their monitor resolution set at 1680x1050."

That's where I get confused!

However, I still come back to the logic that you can't control what resolution someone has their monitor set at. I would assume that most people aren't tech savvy enough to change their monitor resolution, so designers should still stick to the rule of designing to 1024x768 pixels in Photoshop...right?
:confused::confused:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, 1024x768 is a good practice. Always consider the vast majority...and I would tend to agree that most non-tech savvy people will leave their monitor resolution at default. If someone does adjust their resolution to a higher setting, good for them, your website design will still render properly.

SkyRider

Thanks! It's sounds like I wasn't completely off with my logic, then?

I got the feeling that particular person thought he was more "in the know" and I was just an ignorant, misinformed non-web designer. (I am the creative director but my background is in print design -- not web)

However, if there is more to know about browser display vs. monitor resolution --- please share anyone and everyone! I definitely want to give good advice and not be considered ignorant.