Designers, what is your opinion?

danbu1

Because I am not a designer, I am a fan of open source templates. The issue I see is that only advaced users can use the free templates. I came up with a site that will allow novice users to use the templates instantly. The question is, Are designers eager to design free templates to promote themselves?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends on how established a designer is. i did a a lot of pro-bono work when i first started out in order to build a portfolio and wound up also building a name for myself.

Seo1

Free templates are very useful to the novice users as they may not be knowing to design one. It requires a creative thinking and expertise in desining a templates.

mets

Free templates are very useful to the novice users as they may not be knowing to design one. It requires a creative thinking and expertise in desining a templates.

I agree. And it saves a lot of time. Saved time can be used to optimize the site

webdesigntaxi

I design on opendesigns.org and I enjoy it. You release the template as Creative Commons 3.0 and require a "design by" link in the footer for free use, otherwise you give instructions for payment so they can have a link-free license.

Either way you benefit. You get a free inbound link, or you get money. And users who are naughty and remove your link without payment get caught and reported to their ISP for theft.