design is final

Manganix

Hi,

I just 'finalized' the website http://www.gamanga.com/.
I want to close this project and move on to a new one.
I think I can say I'm happy with the result, just like I wanted to.

There still a few things I'll try to to fix, like:
_minor differences between firefox and chrome (not getting into IE for the time being).
_ maybe small adjustments (design-wise) here and there
_add more content

But other than that, I think I'll leave this as it is now.

Hope you'll check out the (fina) design and give feedback/suggestions:

Updated: Homepage:
Added a section:
*lastest added video's, where the user has the choice to play the video instantly, or navigate to the related gallery-page
*artwork of the month, again the possibility just to see the artwork on the spot, or navigate to gallery for more artwork.

Thanks already for your feedback/suggestions.

chrishirst

Staff member
I think I can say I'm happy with the result, just like I wanted to.
Then why do you want reviews? Asking for the approval of others is usually a sign that you are not that convinced, and your target users are going to be the final arbiters of whether you "got it rignt" or not, which of course anyone from a forum may, or may not be in that particular demographic, so may consider the layout to be total garbage or the best thing since sliced bread.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Manganix

@chrishirst

Then why do you want reviews?

don't understand why some people think they should reply to all posts, even they've got nothing valuable to say / to add???

I think most people who ask for a review, are at some point satisfied with the result they've got, but still need to get it confirmed from fellow webdesigners here, or maybe they think someone might give a suggestion they didn't think of or they could use to make their website even better.

That is why: I wrote that I'm satisfied with the current result, it is more or less what I had in mind ... BUT, again someone might see something (an error, a misdesign ... whatever) I'm not seeing or again, some might give a suggestion I didn't think of.

Asking for the approval of others is usually a sign that you are not that convinced
Thanks for your diagnostics doc., but I think there are also dedicated forums for psychology as well.

your target users are going to be the final arbiters of whether you "got it rignt" or not
You don't say! Thanks for clearing this up once and for all for all of us.

If you had given any comment on the website (good or bad, doesn't matter, that is why we are here) that would've been OK!
Please if you have nothing of value to add, keep your worthless comments to yourself, Thanks!

Last edited:

JakClark

The aesthetics are nice, but the overall design is a little peculiar. It feels a little too contained, and I get the impression that something else is supposed to be there. Maybe that's just me?

Last edited:

Manganix

gamanga.com

@d a v e

the copy font is too art deco for the kind of site you have and way to thin to render in a nice way
I wasn't feelin' 100% myself about this font, but tried lots of types, could'nt fall in love on first sight. I'm still looking for something I could replace it with ...
Thanks for your feedback!

@JakClark

overall design is a little peculiar
It feels a little too contained

a little peculiar remarks I think ;) Could you please specify a little more?

I get the impression that something else is supposed to be there
Maybe you're thinking a portfolio website? I did get this remark before, because of the categorized selection menu on the homepage.
But in fact it is a little bit of a collection/portfolio website, since all my hobbies are coming together there.
Thanks for your feedback and hope you'll come back with a liitle bit more details about your remarks.

Grz!

JakClark

Well after navigating your site a little further, I noticed that the navigation bar suddenly appeared :p.

Perhaps you could include that in the homepage too? I rarely see a good website without a consistent navigation bar :)

Manganix

include navbar in homepage

yeah, thought about that too, but wouldn't be a bit weird to have the navbar + the homepage menu (contains already all items from the navbar) on the same page?

The homepage menu is in fact the same as the navbar, but a bit nicer lookin' ;)

Manganix

have it stop after guestbook about us and contact. Then open into what you have.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to suggest here; could you clarify please. Do you mean to only keep the menu buttons on the homepage and drop the rest?

chrishirst

Staff member
@chrishirst

don't understand why some people think they should reply to all posts, even they've got nothing valuable to say / to add???

I think most people who ask for a review, are at some point satisfied with the result they've got, but still need to get it confirmed from fellow webdesigners here, or maybe they think someone might give a suggestion they didn't think of or they could use to make their website even better.

That is why: I wrote that I'm satisfied with the current result, it is more or less what I had in mind ... BUT, again someone might see something (an error, a misdesign ... whatever) I'm not seeing or again, some might give a suggestion I didn't think of.

Thanks for your diagnostics doc., but I think there are also dedicated forums for psychology as well.

You don't say! Thanks for clearing this up once and for all for all of us.

If you had given any comment on the website (good or bad, doesn't matter, that is why we are here) that would've been OK!
Please if you have nothing of value to add, keep your worthless comments to yourself, Thanks!

Ok so my is my question asking for clarification of your reason for posting taken as some kind of insult or slight to your human rights??

Understanding what people want and WHY they want it goes a long way to giving a better response and replies that may be meaningful or useful.

I might take a look and tell you that in my opinion it's a complete bag of crap and you then think well I like it so FU!!!!

Then of course indicating what the target demographic actually is, gives anyone the opportunity to decide that it's not worth looking at because they are not interested in that topic anyway so won't know if it is okay for your marketplace or not.

So what would you prefer?

An answer based on a considered opinion of what you would like to know?

Or an answer based on first impressions which may or may not be relevant or useful?

Because any criticsm given of the layout IS going to be met by you with some scorn, because YOU are already satisfied with the work.

Not really, many review request are from people who are not sure about the layout (discounting the ones who post "reviews" at every forum there is purely fo the link drop of course)

Only people who are in or understand your target demographic could give truly useful advice, anything else would be pretty general, and as you said it is like you wanted it, so generalities are really of little concern.

And in several years and several thousands of posts at many forums, I have always found that ASKING for clarification when a point is unclear is FAR better than guessing!!

Manganix

@alan9187

in IE9 on my lap top the words in the color boxes are cut off at the top, they shrink and dissapear when hoverd over.

yes, I that's the CSS-handling of IE for ya.
I didn't cover the coding for IE yet, I'm gonna one of these days.

Didn't start right away with that, because:
_ Chrome & FireFox blew away IE -almost entirely- as default / most used internet browser (source browser statistics W3)

_ apparently, IE has to start supporting CSS in a decent way very soon, IF they want to continue as a player on the field (various HTML/CSS websites & guru's inform this. Don't know what Microsoft's reaction is on this).

However, just for learning purpose, I'm going to try to come up with a fix for IE ...soon!

For the time being, the site and the CSS should look smooth as silk in Chrome + Firefox ;-)

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
IE6 is a train wreck
IE7 supports css2.1, html4.01 (incomplete support)
IE8 supports css2.1, html4.01 (incomplete support)
IE9 supports css3, html5 (incomplete support)
I believe IE10 is to have further html5/css3 support but even still this "support" will lag behind firefox/chrome/opera/safari by a fair margin.

M$ reaction was extremely slow. (as with all their IE builds) despite calls from day dot to support the specifications IE did not listen or even want to be part of discussions until after IE8. blindly going down their own path, proprietary codes etc...then they released IE9 - "The Saviour!" - however it didnt live up to its expectations and in the end its just another bug filled version to deal with. IE10 they say will be brilliant (but still wont be that great), lots of marketing spin. M$ really dropped the ball with the browser competition, and they dropped it when they were sitting with nearly 100% market share. why improve IE6 they thought! even when they released IE7 they thought the market share they had would be enough to rest on. Still 8 years on when released IE8 (in 2009), there was still absolutely no talk of css3/html5 (css3 had been on the discussion table with w3.org for nearly 10 years by this stage (so no excuse!) - and html5 began at WHATWG in 2004 and was adopted by w3.org in 2007(again no excuse to not even consider it))

So in short, whilst anyone uses ie6-8 they will see no html5/css3 natively (a bit of JS magic usually can do it)
and ie9 users kinda get it, but not complete

what I do is I create a generic IE sheet, it works in ie6-9
I make it fixed width
boring as f**k
and make it function
then i forget about IE.

if I want it to look good, and I want people to view it, they can view it in the other browsers.

if everyone did this we'd never have an IE problem anymore.

JakClark

What I don't understand is why MS can't pump forced updates for IE out. If the computer is connected to the net to browse websites it shouldn't have a problem updating. Then regular updates like Chrome and Firefox would be nice. Still wouldn't use it, but those who do will benefit.

chrishirst

Staff member
What I don't understand is why MS can't pump forced updates for IE out. If the computer is connected to the net to browse websites it shouldn't have a problem updating. Then regular updates like Chrome and Firefox would be nice. Still wouldn't use it, but those who do will benefit.

They do, if you have automatic updates set on your Windows box with default settings, updates to Windows and MS products will be downloaded in the background using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and then Installed automatically at the day and time set.

MS also have what is nicknamed "Patch Tuesday" (MS actually call it "Update Tuesday") and is the second Tuesday in every month when security patches and "bug fixes" are released for company network admins to roll out updates to their networks, where having hundreds, maybe thousands of machines download automatically would impact on their normal network operation.

It is not necessarily directly a Microft problem that older browsers hang around well past their useful life, but it is network admins who keep on using earlier versions of Windows because of cost constraints, hardware incompatability and OS stability. I was a network admin for a ~150 node network over three sites plus around 50 laptops for sales and field teams, and had no qualms at all in rolling out Windows 2000 company wide to replace Win 95/98/NT4 installations because field testing showed that it was superbly stable and compatible with everything we had.
XP was a different story though. The field testing we did showed several "issues" so it was never rolled out. We'll just skip over the Windows Vista debacle and pretend it never happened.

Many large network users are/were in similar positions, it is only now with Windows 7 being stable and reasonably low on the critical bug count have many administrators/companies begun to upgrade hardware and operating systems.

It is very often a "better the devil you know" scenario when considering OS changes on mid to large networks.

JakClark

They do, if you have automatic updates set on your Windows box with default settings, updates to Windows and MS products will be downloaded in the background using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and then Installed automatically at the day and time set.

MS also have what is nicknamed "Patch Tuesday" (MS actually call it "Update Tuesday") and is the second Tuesday in every month when security patches and "bug fixes" are released for company network admins to roll out updates to their networks, where having hundreds, maybe thousands of machines download automatically would impact on their normal network operation.

It is not necessarily directly a Microft problem that older browsers hang around well past their useful life, but it is network admins who keep on using earlier versions of Windows because of cost constraints, hardware incompatability and OS stability. I was a network admin for a ~150 node network over three sites plus around 50 laptops for sales and field teams, and had no qualms at all in rolling out Windows 2000 company wide to replace Win 95/98/NT4 installations because field testing showed that it was superbly stable and compatible with everything we had.
XP was a different story though. The field testing we did showed several "issues" so it was never rolled out. We'll just skip over the Windows Vista debacle and pretend it never happened.

Many large network users are/were in similar positions, it is only now with Windows 7 being stable and reasonably low on the critical bug count have many administrators/companies begun to upgrade hardware and operating systems.

It is very often a "better the devil you know" scenario when considering OS changes on mid to large networks.

Ooh I see. Certainly a better the devil you know scenario, haha!

zoran123456

Oh dear God ... you really like those CSS3 transitions huh ? And look at those colors, so much colors and all of them are high contrast.Honestly, I don't like it but it is just me.

I actually don't like any websites with dark theme.