David Liu: Mobile Gaming in China

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh and, no, it won't pique anyone's interest is your "work now, get paid sometime" propositions.

DotCom

Don't worry, i have nothing to propose. The mobile part caught my interest. It is growing at a much faster rate than i cared to think about. The way i see it is that website within 3 years will be expected to become mobile. I was reading a book on the science of selling and what customers look for. And it explained something exactly like this.

For example; back in the day, hotels started offering "Heavenly Beds" to attract more customers, once competitors caught on they did the same, within a year and a half, all hotels were doing it and it was no longer attracting customers. It became mandatory and expected. The same is going to happen with our industry, the web firms that offer and exploit mobile design alongside with contemporary design will start to one up everyone else, once doing so, everyone will catch up and creating mobile sites will longer be a feature it will be an expectation.

If you really want to move ahead, you can create a WYSIWYG editor specifically for mobile sites. I can see adobe coming out with a dreamweaver specifically tailored for mobile devices. Trippy huh, whoever reads this, i suggest you take this idea and make it work because once the trend catches, you will know when exactly you should market like a volcano and you may even get a proposition to sell to adobe for a few million. I actually bought a similar software called beast mobi, but its to make QR codes for mobile phones.

Last edited:

AsheSkyler

You made a thread just to post one link to a YouTube video that is listed as private? Are you just trying to get your post count up or something like that? Or are you trying to profess a love for kitten videos but are struggling with the "going public" aspect of it?

DotCom

The video is just a reminder of how far behind someone of us are in our skills in designing. You got to love the information age. :)

DotCom

You made a thread just to post one link to a YouTube video that is listed as private? Are you just trying to get your post count up or something like that? Or are you trying to profess a love for kitten videos but are struggling with the "going public" aspect of it?

i had no idea the video was private, i was able to watch it on youtube wihtout a problem.

DotCom

WTF they just took the video down!!!! It was on Harvard's channel. It only like 30 views and was about an hour long.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
i see it is that website within 3 years will be expected to become mobile.
so 2015?

websites are expected to be mobile right now in most cases.

oh and dw makes mobile sites too.

and you've missed the boat with adobe.
edge inspect
phone gap
etc...

**** man, i'm getting really tired of your naive comments.
RESEARCH!

DotCom

so 2015?

websites are expected to be mobile right now in most cases.

oh and dw makes mobile sites too.

and you've missed the boat with adobe.
edge inspect
phone gap
etc...

**** man, i'm getting really tired of your naive comments.
RESEARCH!

yoru arrogance obviously allowed you to miss the point.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yoru arrogance obviously allowed you to miss the point.
no, actually. I saw your point and it wasn't a very good one. Not only is RWD something MOST developer/designers these days have in their "toolkit" but google have even publicly stated that it is their preferred method of rendering mobile content.
the mobile age is not "in three years" it is now! get on board or you'll be left behind.
as for your laughable comment of making millions out of adobe, again you missed my point. They've already got many apps and software that are being developed/have been developed with mobile design in mind.
like I said check out edge inspect or phonegap.
as for a wysiwyg editor for mobiles. that is pointless. thats why we have media queries.

chrishirst

Staff member
In reality the start of the "mobile age" for web document development was five or six years ago. The last commercial website I worked on was in 2007 and that was purposely developed to be "mobile friendly" because the logs showed that almost a third of the visitors were using PDAs and mobile devices rather than "conventional" browsers, even before I was involved in the development and marketing.

And three short years before that I was still of the opinion that mobile devices would take some time to become truly mainstream.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=962240 (I don't make off-the-cuff predictions any more :).

Though a year later my opinions were moving towards being "mobile friendly" if the target audience required it.
http://tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1018425 (read the penultimate post.)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
indeed chris, mobile websites didnt spring up suddenly when ethan marcotte coined the phrase "responsive web design" 3 years ago. Indeed mobile discussions were happening 8 years ago (and no doubt earlier still), as is evident by both your links. admittedly mobile browsing was a pain in the ass 8 years ago, but...as technology has advanced and particularly with touch devices. this is something that is actually achievable successfully now...