CSS layer display issues in IE7

red_ghost

I'm working on a website for a customer using Macromedia Dreamweaver 8. Things look fine on IE6, but displayed on IE7, text is outside the layer. I'm not exactly sure why. Here are some screenshots:

IE6
web1.jpg

IE7
web2.jpg

StephanieCordray

While it doesn't solve your problem the only response I have is that IE7 is a P O S. I uninstalled it because it was more headaches than it is worth.

I am having some of the same problems designing for IE7 and firefox... IE7 is not interpreting the css files properly whereas everything is looking just right in firefox. Before IE7 it was the opposite, firefox didn't always look right. My code is so bloated right now from trying to tweak it for IE7, it's unreal. Still, considering how many people use the thing, we'll have to come up with something or let it look like crap for those using v7... or not use css and go with tables.

red_ghost

I've noticed that. :D Im not exactly sure how much of the business world is even using IE7 right now, so I might just let it go until microsoft fixes it... that is... if they fix it...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
if they fix it...
and the winner is?

your best bet is running separate css file sets for each browser. that way you have one that is tweaked just right for each browser. it is nearly impossible to try and get it to look right in both browsers using just one css file. at the beginning of your code just place a bit of php or asp that will authenticate the users browser and then apply the appropriate css file automatically.

meanwhile... i'll be sticking with tables. ;)

red_ghost

unfortunatly I dont know how to define other CSS styles to be used. I'm a VB programmer and graphic arts guy who got thrown into something by a customer. lol.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i got into web development threw VB as well. :)

does the server this will be running on have ASP capabilities? i.e. windows based server?

StephanieCordray

Setting up separate styles isn't the answer either... not for IE7... it just doesn't interpret the styles right, period... I've had to go in and recode so much through html, I keep thinking why do I need a css at all then?

StephanieCordray

I came back... thought I should give you an example what I mean by it's not interpreting things correctly...

I'm using the simplest things in css... font, link colors, table borders, widths, heights, padding... Let's take padding... I can set a padding of 5... IE7 doesn't use it... not even using layers and divs to set the layout...just plain old ordinary tables... I wind up setting padding and other measurements in HTML because IE7 shows everything without any cell padding otherwise.

But then, I can look at the same page in firefox with the padding now set in both the css and the stupid table cell and it's too wide to fit with the header and top links sections which don't have any padding. I've got twenty-eight pages done already and I'd hate to have to start over and with them.

Same problem with the links... certain parts need the font to be white with another light color for hover, other parts need to be black with another color for hover... IE isn't picking that up either... I have to set each one individually or it goes to the default blue.

StephanieCordray

:p
Well... maybe it will work having separate styles for both browsers... as long as you remember that IE7 won't interpret the stuff properly and account for that with users still using IE6... or go back to my original statement of just letting the pages look crappy for IE7 users...

I just had to talk it out... Me, I'm thinking I'll just code it all html since I'm sort of having to do that anyway with that POS... it does handle some few things okay, like backgrounds for the classes where you have background images specified... wonder how much time I'll lose just cleaning up the code.

Artoonie

It's a table right?

I think it would be easiest if you made that middle section a div (inside the table), with an overflow:auto (or if it already a div, just add that to the css)

red_ghost

I just added an extra 10% in verticle size to the layer. Doesn't really solve the problem but looks okay now, so I guess that's all that matters.

StephanieCordray

templates can be expensive, and its for a customer. I'm sure they wouldn't decide to go with a template.

neither would i...

what i can suggest is make the height auto for the div or give it a little more space than it actually needs for the text... not sure that will fix the problem considering the other problems I've had with ie7 but it might... however, that setting may add more height than you want for the overall look... all I can say is try it and see what happens. The difference between px measurements between firefox and ie can throw off some really good designs.