Crowdsourcing: What do you have to say about it?

logosdesign

Crowdsourcing has purportedly been a controversial subject in logo design as it up with its own benifits and drawbacks. But lately, big names brands like LG, BP and EU opting for contest sites have initiated crowdsourcing as a rising trend.

BMA

Banned
I think logo design contests can be a good option for businesses looking to save a buck. The handful of them that I followed produced some very attractive logos. Of course, you get what you pay for. Problems that may arise with some of these logo contests:
  • Overly trendy logos that might as well come with a two-year expiration date.
  • Lack of expert consultation. While these contests attract very talented youths, they are not populated by people who can give you advice about your market and what you are trying to do with your logo. The contest participants will simply give you what you ask for.
  • Service after the sale. Will you get all the file types you will need for your business in the future? As you move between different marketing applications (i.e. graphic design, giving your logo to some online company, office management software, desktop publishing, signs, t-shirts, mugs), you often need different file types. Will you get all the file types you need up front? It's unlikely that there will be service after the sale.

BTW: The English in the first two posts was great. I don't understand the first four responses to the OP.