Cross-Browser Support

danb

Hi all, newbie here - been designing for about 5 years now, currently using PHP/XML/CSS/Java combos in my site.

Recently I've started a redesign of my site (www.firepretty.co.uk), with the purpose of streamlining it and moving from tables to divisions.

I, like many others, like to use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, but I found that, having done this design at school (no firefox), I arrived home and my design and its div's disagreed with Firefox!

Can anyone help me out?

The new alpha design is at http://www.firepretty.co.uk/fpv/main.html

any emails would be welcomed at [email protected]

Dmexio

This is my opinion but i dont think u should stop using tables i'll tell you y, suppose you have 2 tables top and bottom u can then use div's to place the photo on the bottom table right side, or wherever

without tables the div's will still work but not as they should and its more trouble too also each broswer will read it the it wants so it will look one way on IE and another on FF.
But thats just humble opinion
________
LovelyCat live

Last edited:

ewomack

I hate to agree with continued table use, but Dmexio is correct. From what I've heard and experienced, IE and Firefox process CSS differently enough to make cross browser support a real challenge. But their table support is very similar. I think some companies with lots of resources actually make separate pages for each browser (when the page loads it detects the browser and directs the user to the appropriately configured page). I know I've had troubles with something as simple as centering text between IE and Firefox when using CSS. I ended up having to cheat (by using Transitional XHTML and DIV tags) to get the look consistent on both platforms.

The ongoing browser wars have unfortunately stifled universal web standards for new technologies. Web developers have to put up with it in the end.