Critque please but

StephanieCordray

bear in mind I just started on it yesterday. I wonder if the font is too small, if the layout works for everyone or not... graphics if you'd care to comment.

A lot to fix yet. I can't find the *&^*%$@ file to have Site links show on every page... such as archives, categories, and so on so you'll have to use the back button in the browser until I figure that out.

This is my first experience with Word Press so if anybody here has any knowledge I'd appreciate the sharing.

http://www.sgcordray.com

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think it looks quite good. I am not a big fan of dark backgrounds with white text, I always prefer light backgrounds with black text.
In addition to the site name, perhaps in the header incorporate a line about what the site is about, eg "The personal blog of Stephanie Cordray"
I use wordpress as well at one of my sites webzine.com but I use the blandest templates you can find.

StephanieCordray

LOL... when i first installed it yesterday I had the classic up as the template... don't think you can get more bland than that... typically I'm not all that fond of white on dark for text but for some reason this one seemed to demand it.

I will have something up soon saying what the site is about ... just haven't made up mind what it's about myself yet, lol.

Thanks ian.

StephanieCordray

ian, i didn't think of it earlier but since you use word press, too, would you happen to know which file I edit to show all the links on all the pages? The template I thought it would be wasn't the right one... If not, I'll be fiddling around with it some more tomorrow and maybe I'll find the right one fairly easily. I didn't have a lot of time for it today.

SiteExpress

Steph, I like it. I don't mind the text size or color. In fact, I think the header image you chose looks quite nice with the dark color, and it ads something to the white text.

StephanieCordray

Thanks, SE... I think it's going to be kind of fun once I get started... I never did before when they first became such a big deal because I really couldn't think of things to talk about... but that's probably because I was thinking about it the wrong way.

StephanieCordray

SiteExpress said:
I always just kind of pictured them as kind of a diary. It just never interested me.

Yeah, that's how I think of them, too. I really don't want a diary so I'll have to think of it another way.

drummondjacob

I think the corporate blue isn't suited to a personal site, furthermore the use of Serif fonts for on-screen display is not advised as (ironically) it makes the text harder to read. I recommend Verdana its half Serif and half Sans and ststistics show that 85% of people found it the easiest font to read on-screen; this is why all the big players (amazon, BBC etc) use it.

Try using a drop shadow instead of the stripes aroud the edge of the page and header picture, it'll give the page a bit of depth.

Also, why have you used an internal styleshet to give the #page <div> a background, it would be more efficient to use the externa CSS file for al the styles.

Last edited:

StephanieCordray

drummondjacob said:
Also, why have you used an internal styleshet to give the #page <div> a background, it would be more efficient to use the externa CSS file for al the styles.

Good question since it didn't work from within the stylesheet... one of those little glitches I still need to figure out, :) .

Kiwiberry

Steph, I like it. It's simple and easy to read. I think the font and background are working well together. Good luck with it.

StephanieCordray

I'll remember when I'm ready to really receive visitors... I've got a lot of work to do. Word Press is nice but it has a lot of different php files, some of which make no sense until I start looking at them. I'd like to get all the links on the main page to show up on every page... I think I've figured it out but haven't put it to the test, lol... I may screw everything up when I do, lol... Once it's ready, I'll start submitting it..

Still not sure what to talk about but it's been kind of fun learning to work with the thing.

StephanieCordray

It's fun as far as working with the code and stuff... I'm such a dull person normally that it's going to be a challenge to come up with interesting stuff to blog. I didn't delve too much into making an original template. I liked the layout of the default one so I just made changes to that using my own graphics. Still a lot of tweaking to do, and code changes to make to get it operating the way I want... but lots of fun.

I suppose by the time I'm finished, it will be sort of original, huh?

SiteExpress

Haha, Sounds like it. i was looking at the Wordpress code, and it doesn't look all that difficult to manipulate. Like you, I think I will probably have more fun with the alterations, than the blog. I may even quit messing with it when the alterations are done. LOL

Also, I was looking at some of the templates available. Is it me, or are most of them either way too boring, or they just look like a mess?

StephanieCordray

I don't know if they look a mess... some of them are rather good. I think it's all a matter of taste... obviously mine is out there a bit, lol... I don't think I could have found one in them to suit me.

The code itself isn't difficult at all. It's finding the right file to edit that's the difficulty... but then, I haven't been working on it really the last couple of days and I'm not that far into it yet.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
stephanie, their is such a thing a to much of a good thing. blue is my favorite color, but i would suggest throwing in some other, prefferably lighter colors. greys and lighter shades of blue could work.

overall, i think it looks alright. it's very clean, which i like. but as i said, it needs more color, then it could be great. :)