crikey.com.au sale for one million dollars

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I always like reading about the sale of websites and the prices they fetch.
One to make the news here in Australia was crikey.com.au
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/02/02/1107228736077.html?oneclick=true
Although the sale price was $1,000,000, looks like they get $200,000 in installments over 18 monthhs, and then the option to either buy it outright for an additional $800,000 or hand it back and lose their $200,000
Oh, and $1,000,000 aussie dollars is around US$770,000
Sounds like a lot of money for a PR6 site with an alexa rank of 47,691
but then from what I have read, it has around 5300 paid subscribers at a minimum of $60 a year, plus advertising revenue of Around $8000 a month, which roughly equates to $414,000 per year. But then you would have to pay staff and journalists etc from that amount.

StephanieCordray

Seems like a sound investment move since it is fetching a pretty good income. The first couple of years could be rough but after that it should do quite nicely, provided the buyer can maintain current standings, membership, and traffic etc. Not something I would do, but I can see where it might be a good move for someone else.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, that site looks like it had a lot of costs in that they had investigative journalists etc
I think the company that bought the site had sold a business of their own for $65 million dollars, so I guess they were all cashed up.

suz

All I can say is I wish I could sell a site for $200,000 or even half that would do me. My site was valued at about 50,000 US dollars which I probably wouldn't even get for it anyway and it's not enough to make me want to sell it.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
well let me rephrase that, I am not selling any that are part of the network that I am building........

Vaelor

Man, you're all either very committed and dedicated to your long-term plans, or clinically insane. I'd sell everything I have - every website I run, every piece of computer hardware I own, every piece of furniture, my clothes, my pets, and my grandmother for $50,000USD!!

And I tell you what, whoever was doing the buying would be getting a sour deal at that price too! =P

You start talking that kind of money, and my brain turns to the great things I could do with that kind of capital, rather than what I might be forfeiting by taking the quick cash over my current enterprises. Nothing I own, run, or do right now is worth that kind of slice - but if I had the dosh, I could certainly get started on a lot of things that were, and then some! =)