[?] Creating a portfolio website

xjoss

Hi all,

I'm new here.
I'm an animator, about to create a portfolio website, but I don't have any idea about which web development tools will best suit my purpose.

The website will contain a large background image that has some clickable links to an embedded video and contact form. The website should be simple and fast to access (not a Flash-based website).

I'm ignorant of any web development tools, but willing to learn as needed.
My professional webdev friend told me that it will need Javascript, but I'm wondering whether there are simpler tools to learn, especially by a newbie.

Any suggestion appreciated, thanks!

-Joss

smoovo

To design your website, like everyone else, you need to know HTML and CSS. This includes video embedding. To use contact form you need to use PHP, but you can just copy/paste online copy of the script and just custom it to your purpose.

Javascript is not necessary in this case, but if you willing to make your page more creative, such as dynamic divs or dynamic menu lists, you have to use Javascript (jQuery for example).

- Enjoy. :)

bcee

Sounds like your friend isn't very pro? HTML/CSS and PHP (for the form) is all you will need.

xjoss

Hahaha! :D

Ok then, to make it even simpler, I think I'll omit the PHP contact form.
I just found a free Quick Contact form from Shape5.com.

If HTML and CSS already cover all my purpose (embedded video, especially), then I'll just learn these two things.

Thanks again! :)