Content Management Systems (CMS)

notarypublic

You'll find a lot of it relates to what the needs of your client are.

Different CMS's are good for different things. Wordpress is probably one of the most widely supported, but if you're making a shopping cart or other specific kind of content, there may be a better package out there.

bcee

Depends on the site. If it's simple something like Wordpress or Joomla would suffice. For more advanced sites that need expandability I would go with Expression Engine or RoR.

rickidoo

My recommendation is that you describe what your goals are for a CMS system, who is going to use it (web savvy or not web savvy people), what the CMS system will be able to manage (e.g, must it be able to alter menus, edit the footer etc or just do teh body area) and how you prefer to store the data it keeps.

Otherwise, there are lots of excellent CMS systems out there, but we may be suggesting a prescription for a need you don't have.

And there are other website editing tools out there that technically are not a CMS system, but provide all the editing ability normally needed by a non-web savvy business owner to edit their simple html website. (e.g, Adobe Contribute Software is one example).

Last edited:

eonic

For those of you who have worked with CMS, what do you recommend?

I would honestly recomend our CMS it works like a treat out of the box and there is a free trial and a resseller program.... It features intuitive drag and drop of content types, ecommerce, blogs etc.

I have used all the rest and EonicWeb gets my vote....

krymson

I personally use wordpress for my company site. its nice because the android market has a free wordpress app so i can make posts from my phone. its my personal preference.

mhack122

You'll find a lot of it relates to what the needs of your client are.

Different CMS's are good for different things. Wordpress is probably one of the most widely supported, but if you're making a shopping cart or other specific kind of content, there may be a better package out there.

yeah i also prefer wordpress....

Pheno

I've used Wordpress and Joomla quite extensively.

Wordpress has cheap templates and it is probably less buggy so is probably better choice for blogs and small business brochure style websites.

Joomla is more flexible and probably better for sites with a greater scope (social networking, online shop etc)

Anders Bohea

I work with Joomla a lot more than Wordpress, since for what I do, Joomla tends to do a slightly better job than Wordpress. That is not to say Wordpress is not good, just that when it comes to particular areas, like blogs, Wordpress does shine. But for a more generic CMS site that might not need something like a blog, then Joomla is just more flexible.

In the end, they are good in the areas that the CMS's are focused toward. Pick the best tool for the job is usually the way to go.