Compress PNGs

AusQB

I have a PNG image on my site and I intend to add a few more. Each has transparent reflections at the top and bottom.

The image size is about 520KB. I really need to bring that down.

I tried Pngcrush, but even with the brute force compression it only reduced it to 499KB.

Is there any good method for compressing PNGs or should I look to an alternative format? GIF's save in horrible quality. Not great for a home page image.

conor

What dimensions are in the PNG? It really shouldn't be that big! My banner photographs are usually a max of 50kb.

BTW. PNG transparency is not supported in IE6 and the PNG just shows up as a big grey box.

jnjc

AFAIK there is a work around to fix the IE6 issue with .png files. Can you post a link to one of the files and we can have a look.

AusQB

The size came from the fact that the base image is very high quality. For now I'm going to leave it until I decided exactly how I'm going to arrange images on the site, which is proving to be the most difficult part.

My temporary solution was to break it up into a JPEG for the main part, and two PNGs for the top and bottom. The resulting size being a total of about 200KB.

conor

Just in case you dont already know about it if you are using photoshop you can hit ctrl. Shift. Alt and s which will open up the save for web box with which you can reduce the size while retaining the quality.

Susan-Reed

It depends what the image is for. If it's for the web, JPEG at Quality 60 (in Photoshop's "Save for Web") is optimal.

yelleyster

what are the pictures dimensions? sometimes that can contribute to the overall size regardless if your are using a PNG. i ran into that problem awhile ago. however, try resizing it if thats the issue and then saving it. if not, you may be using a larger color palette than what is recommended for the PNG compression. also, what program are you using?

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
What dimensions are in the PNG? It really shouldn't be that big! My banner photographs are usually a max of 50kb.

BTW. PNG transparency is not supported in IE6 and the PNG just shows up as a big grey box.

Ahhh we are in the days IE8, anyone who has six can upgrade for free. :)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just in case you dont already know about it if you are using photoshop you can hit ctrl. Shift. Alt and s which will open up the save for web box with which you can reduce the size while retaining the quality.

Yeah Conor is right, even with a high res image you should ALWAYS use Save for Web for your images, and it should be way less than 520K even at a PNG24. If it is big (dimensions) which it sounds like it is, the file size should be around the 200s.

I highly suggest you look into it.